How to secure a Rohloff?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
UpWrong

How to secure a Rohloff?

Post by UpWrong »

Given the value of these things, can they be secured to the bike with a lockable skewer? Presumably they need lockable axle nuts?
geocycle

Re: How to secure a Rohloff?

Post by geocycle »

Yes, I've used pitlocks since 2006. There may be better alternatives out there now but they really help peace of mind. I've also got a SON28 on the front so the hubs are by far the most expensive bit of my bike!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the Rohloff can indeed be nicked by scumbags; IIRC the was a picture posted on this very forum of one that had been cut out of the wheel, which was locked to something solid. I think if someone is going to go to those kinds of lengths, pitlocks won't stop them either.

I am not at all sure that a Rohloff is an acceptable commuting hub if you need to leave the bike locked up anywhere; the theft risk seems too high to me.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Atomic22 is supposed to be the most secure locking system yet, but who knows in practice? it certainly should be at the price!
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I use a quite hefty cable, with a substantial padlock.The cable goes through the frame and both wheels, and around whatever I am locking the bike to. If using the a bike with a Q/R seat post I hook the padlock through the seat rails as well.

Thus the wheels, seatpost, and frame are all secure to the railings or whatever I'm using. Though you could nick the hubs by cutting through all the spokes I suppose ...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Brucey wrote:the Rohloff can indeed be nicked by scumbags; IIRC the was a picture posted on this very forum of one that had been cut out of the wheel, which was locked to something solid. I think if someone is going to go to those kinds of lengths, pitlocks won't stop them either.

I am not at all sure that a Rohloff is an acceptable commuting hub if you need to leave the bike locked up anywhere; the theft risk seems too high to me.

cheers

You are probably right. But, I don't see the Rohloff appealing to the standard bike thief looking for bling. Sure pro thieves would recognise value but I imagine there are many more opportunists out there. I rely on pit locks, Abus granit and insurance. There's always a dilemma about using your best bike and getting full value from it v being worried about theft or damage.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

rmurphy195 wrote:Though you could nick the hubs by cutting through all the spokes I suppose ...

Apparently this is becoming an increasing problem in Germany, where the hubs are better known and targeted by thieves.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

lots of ways ~
(i) by leaving it in the shed ~ and using a second rear wheel (fixed, single speed, or if like me you velcro tape the gear wires to the bicycle frame, and are prepared to change the shifter on the handle bars, another hub gear for your usual shopping, or communting trips. i have done this myself, and currently use a bicycle fitted with a nu-vinci hub, that with about 15 minutes work, can be removed and my friend's rolhoff hub, put in its place.
(ii) by fitting a chain holding peg to the rear seat stay and a 2 legged cycle stand, and then taking the rear wheel into your room when on tour, or the cinema if you're really paranoid (if you know of a frame brazer, they may actually braze some legs to your rear rack so that the rear ends are kept off the ground, if you don't want a centre stand)
(iii) by fitting a 1980's wheel disc to the rear wheel, thereby hiding the hub (bonus points if you use a nu-vinci gear changer and axle nuts to futher confuse things further ~ not actually done this one myself)
(iv) by purchasing a hub which uses a disc brake ~ and using the disc brake mounts to bolt on a circular disc which features holes ~ one large padlock goes around the chain stay, and then through the hole of the circular disc, and another large padlock does around the seat stay and through the disc, thereby locking the hub to the frame. Although i guess if the disc had a large enough diameter, you could use a U-lock to lock the disc to the bike frame. Its also impossible to turn the hub, thus making it unlikely that anyone attempting to take the hub can merely undo the disc bolts (not actualy done this one either, but thinking about it if i get an afline 8 speed). If there are any manufacturers out there reading this, then perhaps the next piece of bicycle disc brake technology, could include an element of anti-theft. You stop your disc brake fitted bike, park it, and then lock the disc brakes, knowing that the disc brakes will securely hold then wheel in place using the pressure of the pads against the disc, dispite the removal of any quick release axle.
(v) modifying the frame by adding m5 bosses either side of the rear wheel drop out, and then using the m5 bosses to bolt on a shaped piece of steel that stops the rear hub from simply being dropped out of the frame (in order to remove the rear wheel ~ the bicycle will have to be turned upside down, the m5 bolts undone, and then the shaped pieces of steel removed ~ which would make puncture repair even harder. Not tried this method either ~ but if hub thefts start to become a problem, then i can see it being adopted by the manufacturers)
(vi) before the hub is built into a wheel, have the hub inscribed with the words 'i will never ever never sell this hub, if it is offered to you for sale please call the police immediately and quote the number on this hub'.
(vii) leave it in the shop and buy an alfine 8 or nu-vinci hub, spend the cost difference on a cycling holiday (am i mad to write this? Well, the rohloff hub is a fine, brilliant piece of equipment it really, really, is. But compared with the alfine 8, you're getting an extra high gear, and about three, or four lower gears depending on how you gear it. The nu-vinci is easier to live with than the rohloff hub, has more gears between the ranges, but lacks three lower gears and one high gear and the weight and effeciency advantage of the roholff. However the rolhoff hub is some 3 to 4 times the price of these other hubs, which means that your paying for a extra one or two gears that you'd use if the wind was behind you or you were cycling down hill, and for being able to cycle up some hills, rather than getting off and walking... the rolhoff isn't flawless either ~ i've broken a tooth on one, it leaks if you lay it on its side, and the sprocket is a stupid screw on thread type, which on occassions has been know to rust itself to the hub thread..personally speaking if i had the choice between a cheaper hub and a cycling holiday or a rolhoff, i'd know what i would go for)...
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

I use pinhead skewers as a deterrent
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

With a set of bolt croppers a thief could easily cut off the rear triangle and sort the lump out in his den.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

breakwellmz wrote:With a set of bolt croppers a thief could easily cut off the rear triangle and sort the lump out in his den.

Quite! Which is why I'll not be worrying about it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

breakwellmz wrote:With a set of bolt croppers a thief could easily cut off the rear triangle and sort the lump out in his den.

Exactly - there are rechargeable angle grinders as well.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

rmurphy195 wrote:I use a quite hefty cable ...

My experience of hearing at least weekly customer accounts of bike theft means I would never leave a bike locked with a cable, however 'hefty'. I have heard a hundred first hand accounts of bike theft and not yet heard of one where a D-lock was broken.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

geocycle wrote:
Brucey wrote:the Rohloff can indeed be nicked by scumbags; IIRC the was a picture posted on this very forum of one that had been cut out of the wheel, which was locked to something solid. I think if someone is going to go to those kinds of lengths, pitlocks won't stop them either.

cheers

You are probably right. But, I don't see the Rohloff appealing to the standard bike thief looking for bling. Sure pro thieves would recognise value but I imagine there are many more opportunists out there. I rely on pit locks, Abus granit and insurance. There's always a dilemma about using your best bike and getting full value from it v being worried about theft or damage.

Thieves will steal anything so I dont think u can take any comfort that your stuff is worth too much.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

I am also interested in this as I had a Rohloff bike stolen before. Now I have my new Rohloff I thought about getting some transfers with Chinese writing and bonding them to the Rohloff, so any Rohloff branding is hidden. Unless the thief really knows their bikes they will think it is generic Chinese stuff that has little resale value.