36 Spoke narrow wheels that work out the box?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Re: 36 Spoke narrow wheels that work out the box?

Post by 531colin »

I buy from them sometimes, too... :wink:
beardy

Post by beardy »

Would that be an OEM part, not in a box, by any chance? :lol:

I have had some stuff from them packed in bags with those stickers on as well, I can not remember if I have had more or less in the proper cardboard packaging as it isnt something I care about.
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

531colin wrote:Image

I buy from them sometimes, too... :wink:

That is just a normal bulk package made for shop use and not what I was talking about. The really sweet deals on Shimano OEM parts only sold for bicycle production usually aren't individually packed but comes in trays or in open bags in large quantities, simply because it is too slow (and dangerous) to individually open bags or boxes for each part at an assembly line. Occasionally the bicycle factory resell a portion of such OEM group sets (even though they aren't allowed), but since the parts are bought far below wholesale price, the profits can be nice and quick. They have to be discreet about it though, since it will sour their relationship with Shimano if found out.

Allegedly Campagnolo doesn't (or didn't) sell parts without individual packaging to the frustration of the few remaining Campagnolo bicycle manufacturers.
--
Regards
mig

Post by mig »

going back to 48H.....are the flanges more susceptible to breakages with less material between the spoke holes?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I'm not going to discuss who puts the [rude word removed] part into the [rude word removed] bag.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

re 48h... kind of; you need large flanges not small ones I reckon. Having said this some BMX hubs use small flanges even in 48h. I don't know how often they break though.

[oh, and I agree with Colin BTW; Shimano's parts distribution appears to be as bent as a nine bob note...]

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lost not Found

Post by Lost not Found »

I said I'd update this, and on the off chance some searches it and wants an exciting conclusion as to how the Rose Wheels are....

I don't know, I ended up purchasing 32 spokes instead and had a go at this wheel building lark. Both good fun and a very useful learning experience, I'll have much more confidence to go over any wheel I purchase in the future if they don't hold up. Hopefully that won't have to be for a while, it held up to a 100km audax well on Sunday.