Road lights to see

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bicycler

Re: Road lights to see

Post by Bicycler »

The fat commuter wrote:Most reviews seem to be German. Does this mean that this is a German light? If so, does that mean that the light meets the equivalent of BS standards?

The regulations allow for the use of lights meeting an equivalent European standard. It is widely agreed that the German StVZO standard is equivalent to or better than the British Standard for bicycle lamps so we can be pretty confident that they are road legal in the UK. This issue is becoming increasingly moot because virtually no manufacturers now produce lights approved to the British Standard which is now pretty much obsolete. Because they are not approved almost all bike lights sold in the UK (including your current ones) are technically not legal to use as the sole front or rear lights. We are in the bizarre situation where German lights are legal in the UK but ones bought in your LBS are usually not :? Personally I'd rather the UK just adopted the German standard.

Luckily the police don't care about standards compliance as long as you have working lights of the right colour which don't blind others.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The problem is less in the legal issues, but the insurance issues. It's rather hard to get "approved" lights, particularly since blinking lights are only "automatically approved" if they don't have a steady mode.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

I use an Exposure Strada for commuting on variety of roads/paths. It's usb rechargeable and pretty ideal for what I need. It's definitely a light to see with and also be seen!!
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Just looked at the Exposure Strada Mk5 online - looks a really nice light but it blows my budget somewhat at approx £240. I do like the remote switch though to flick between high and dipped.

I'm now in a dilemma. Do I go for the Phillips battery light or do I go for a dynamo light? With the Phillips light having two brackets and people on here saying that one of them's a solid mount - will likely go for that. I don't think that I'd be able to get the budget for the dynamo setup past the missus!

With regards to BS markings and standards and what not - I do know that none of my lights are BS or equivalent.

Regarding BS markings and equivalent and insurance. On the blurb that came with my Cateye it stated that "this light must be used with a BS Standard light or equivalent if used at night". I know that it's a total minefield out there but, if you have a German Standard light as well as a non-standard light on both the front and the back - are you road legal? If this did make me road legal then I'd probably get a standard rear light too. This isn't so much from a 'road legal' point of view but more from a 'what if I get knocked off my bike at night' point of view.

[EDIT]Found the answer here http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... egulations under the "Additional lamps and reflectors" bit[/EDIT]
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

The fat commuter wrote:Just looked at the Exposure Strada Mk5 online - looks a really nice light but it blows my budget somewhat at approx £240. I do like the remote switch though to flick between high and dipped.

They're not cheap. Might be worth seeing if there's an earlier version available, think mine is Mk2 and still going strong!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The budget for a hub looks scary, compare it with a tank of fuel, or a taxi or a train fare if your batteries fail...

It doesn't need to be terrifying - my front light was only £20 or so, but is hooked up to a hub generator (which for technical reasons had to be a SON, but shimano would have worked) and it's fine. I will likely upgrade it if/when I put a dynamo on another bike...

Bike discount currently have new wheels for £70, £20 for a B&M up front, £10 for the rear, add £10 for rounding and for delivery and you're not far off budget...

Actually that's £101.47, and I think free delivery (orders over 100 euro).

Ok, it's "only" a Lyt, but add a tenner and get the cyo or the fly...

Personally I use the Lyt, and it's fine (though I wouldn't do fast unknown unlit roads)
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 30 Sep 2014, 8:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

bike-discount (http://www.bike-discount.de) do an Axa 70Lux (95metre beam - ideal for the 10 miles of unlit lanes to Glasgow!) plus a Shimano 3N80/Mavic CXP22 combo for £129. There's a set in my basket now and i have twitchy checkout fingers... I'd rather not have a 3N80 as like everything else Shimano I ever had, something stupid will break and spares will be unobtainium, but I can't stretch to a SOn or SP currently, that's the only reason this lot has been in my basket for a week.

Anyone have real life experience of 3N80s? (Not "I used one twice last week", but "I've used one year round in all weathers for n years and it's never given a hint of problems" type experience!
mjr

Post by mjr »

If you really want to just give it a try, Taylor-Wheels (German seller) on ebay do wheels with the low-end Shimano dynamos (3N72 I think) for about £50. One bike here currently has that, Axa Pico 30 Steady front and Axa Riff Steady back, which seems fine for even unlit country lanes at 15-20mph or so. It's been on since spring and so far so good. Another bike has an Axa HR bottle dynamo with the same lights and the whole lot was £50, but it is draggier, the V-brake boss mount for the bottle is not easy to buy and the tyres really benefit if there's a perpendicular dynamo track (which makes it hard to buy tyres online because you can rarely see enough detail).

Anyway, I share your pain. I've another bike to kit out and I'm currently dithering between a hub dynamo and one of the magnetic systems because it's a rarer wheel size... but I guess I could get the dynamo built into a 622 wheel later if needed.... arrrgh.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

If the OP wants to go down the battery route I'd take a look at the Hope Vision One and a decent charger.

Wonderful bit of British Engineering.

Not flash looking but actually rather stylish in a kinda retro way.
Sweep
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

BigFoz wrote:bike-discount (http://www.bike-discount.de) do an Axa 70Lux (95metre beam - ideal for the 10 miles of unlit lanes to Glasgow!) plus a Shimano 3N80/Mavic CXP22 combo for £129. There's a set in my basket now and i have twitchy checkout fingers... I'd rather not have a 3N80 as like everything else Shimano I ever had, something stupid will break and spares will be unobtainium, but I can't stretch to a SOn or SP currently, that's the only reason this lot has been in my basket for a week.

Anyone have real life experience of 3N80s? (Not "I used one twice last week", but "I've used one year round in all weathers for n years and it's never given a hint of problems" type experience!

Brucey has iirc. even the low end shimano hubs are reasonable...
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

BigFoz wrote:Anyone have real life experience of 3N80s? (Not "I used one twice last week", but "I've used one year round in all weathers for n years and it's never given a hint of problems" type experience!

My Shimano hub experience: one XT, done 3 years and lots of miles (dunno, but "some thousands") on a couple of road bikes faultlessly; one 3N72, done about 18 months of commuting (~2000mi) faultlessly; one more XT that's only just entered service; and a 3N30 that did six months of commuting (~600mi) and died (electrically; one day I might even find time to take it apart and see if I can fix it).

I believe the XTs are the same as the 3N80s except for additional contact seals, and I think the 3N72s are electrically identical; maybe different bearing races. But I'm not 100% certain.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Sweep wrote:If the OP wants to go down the battery route I'd take a look at the Hope Vision One and a decent charger.

Wonderful bit of British Engineering.

Not flash looking but actually rather stylish in a kinda retro way.

I certainly like mine, bought from Halfords when they had an offer on.

Nothing to do with me, and don't know him, but this chap on another forum is offering them.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Received my Saferide 80 from Rosebikes. Ordered Friday evening, dispatched Monday, delivered today. It only comes with the slide on bracket now. Tried it out tonight and it's really bright, much brighter than my 50 lux Ixon IQ.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
birkhead

Post by birkhead »

If you want something that is not going to blind oncoming persons,
then you need to avoid the cheap chinese led lights.
I have now gone down the dynohub route,
so have for sale an ixonIQ powered by 4xAA batteries,
which provide a flexible solution.
Not as powerful as many current offerings, but perfectly fine for road use.
PM if interested
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Exposure lights are great. Small, easily mounted and removed, rechargable, last upto 10 hours on medium brightness. I have two Enduro Maxx. I won't be buying any more though as they are not user serviceable and after 4 years one of my enduro will only come on on low light. You can start it in full beam but within a minute the indicator light is flashing red and it steps down twice to the low light mode. The last time I checked it was £65 to have the light refurbished. Given that the lights originally cost over £200 this was not good value for money. In anticipation of this degradation I replaced the enduro with cree T6 lights from ebay for less than the cost of of refurbishing one of my enduro maxx. And they have worked perfectly through last winter and for night rides I have done over the summer.