Road lights to see

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
The fat commuter

Re: Road lights to see

Post by The fat commuter »

Just ordered some lights. Got the Philips Saferide 80 as well as one of these rear lights:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/dura ... aid:758257

I know that no one's really bothered but I'll feel better having lights that comply with the German standards.

Many thanks all for the front light recommendation. I'll let you have my verdict when I use it in anger. Will likely be in four weeks time when next on evenings.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

I'm not sure that the German standards are "all that"; from what I've read on various German fora, their standards lag behind the current "state of the art" somewhat in terms of the allowable brightness of the bulbs. Where they score heavily, though, is that the German regulations are designed to avoid dazzling drivers, and the light manufacturers have been very creative with regards reflectors and lenses to both shape the beam and put as much *useable* light on the road surface where it's needed. The German automotive industry was eyeing up LEDs and experimenting with the sort of optics required to get the best out of them over twenty years ago - when LEDs were pretty pants - but the people with their fingers on pulses had a good idea that things were going to get better.

I've ordered a different STVO-compliant headlamp from Rosebikes that should be here in the next few days. It'll be interesting to compare its performance on a dark lane with the Exposure Joystick I use at the moment; the Joystick is *plenty* light enough to be seen by, but not particularly great as a tool to help me see. And I don't think that flooding the road with more lumens is the answer (not least because it's very easy to start dazzling oncoming traffic). Plus the German lights are a *lot* cheaper; whether that's because the market is larger, or because they're not trying to compete in a lumens/running-time war, I don't know. What I do know is my new lamp will end up costing less than a third of the price of my first considered alternative, the Exposure Strada. FWIW, I decided against buying a Strada partly on grounds of cost, partly because they never got back to me answering a technical query, and partly because of the correct answer to that query ("can you use the "dip" switch at the same time as having a rear light plugged in to the lamp?"; answered on either Evans' or Wiggle's site by a fellow customer with a "no"; I ask rhetorically why have a port on the back of a lamp that allows *either* useful accessory to be attached, but not both?). "Dipping" the light isn't an issue with the German lamps.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Anybody who was tempted by the Phillips Saferide 80 light may be even more so by this offer.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/phil ... opoffers:1

£26.20 +p&p inc batteries and charger!
oldstrath

Post by oldstrath »

beardy wrote:Anybody who was tempted by the Phillips Saferide 80 light may be even more so by this offer.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/phil ... opoffers:1

£26.20 +p&p inc batteries and charger!

Maybe I'm over interpreting, but the user reviews all suggest the saferide is heavy, and the mounting is poor. Anybody use them and disagree?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

oldstrath wrote:Maybe I'm over interpreting, but the user reviews all suggest the saferide is heavy, and the mounting is poor. Anybody use them and disagree?
I have had one for some years now, probably 5. Yes it is "heavy". This is because it contains 4 AA batteries and the case is made of metal which means the whole body acts as a heatsink. Poor mounting - in what way? True, I am not impressed by the way the screw goes through a fork in the mounting. True I found that the rubber padding piece inside the clamp was a bit spongy and did not clamp tightly, this may have changed over the years. I got over this by using packing pieces from other lights and have found the mount to be quite secure enough on the bars. The light itself is secure enough in the bracket, but I found there was a very small amount of angular float. Now I like a light to point exactly where I've aimed it, not float by even a single degree so I got over that by using a toestrap around the light and the bars (also doubles as a low level anti-theft device). So I have been very happy with my light for several winters. It is powerful enough on dim beam for most purposes and the beam is a good shape and width. The other negative point was that the status LEDs were too bright so I had to cover them with parcel tape to dim them a bit.

At the price Rose are offering them I'd say this is a very good deal. Perhaps they are clearing out old stock because Philips are getting out of the cycle lighting business, or so I've heard several times.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I also have a Philips Saferide 80, acquired in the Spring for use in the coming winter months.

It's had a couple of trial runs on my commute this week, primarily to test out the mounting bracket. My ride involves a two mile or so stretch of canal towpath with a very rough surface, the lamp has shown no sign of movement.

It hasn't been dark enough yet to compare the lamp with the one I was using last year but I'm looking forward to doing just that in a few weeks time :D .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
beardy

Post by beardy »

Why a few weeks? Three days should be enough.

Though all this talk of lights on this thread and another means that I will not wait that long.
I am going to dress up in my Christmas Tree Gear affix a couple of rear lights (one with the relevant BS stamps) a couple of high power but considerate headlights and go out for a gratuitous night ride.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

tatanab wrote:
oldstrath wrote:Maybe I'm over interpreting, but the user reviews all suggest the saferide is heavy, and the mounting is poor. Anybody use them and disagree?
I have had one for some years now, probably 5. Yes it is "heavy". This is because it contains 4 AA batteries and the case is made of metal which means the whole body acts as a heatsink. Poor mounting - in what way? True, I am not impressed by the way the screw goes through a fork in the mounting. True I found that the rubber padding piece inside the clamp was a bit spongy and did not clamp tightly, this may have changed over the years. I got over this by using packing pieces from other lights and have found the mount to be quite secure enough on the bars. The light itself is secure enough in the bracket, but I found there was a very small amount of angular float. Now I like a light to point exactly where I've aimed it, not float by even a single degree so I got over that by using a toestrap around the light and the bars (also doubles as a low level anti-theft device). So I have been very happy with my light for several winters. It is powerful enough on dim beam for most purposes and the beam is a good shape and width. The other negative point was that the status LEDs were too bright so I had to cover them with parcel tape to dim them a bit.

At the price Rose are offering them I'd say this is a very good deal. Perhaps they are clearing out old stock because Philips are getting out of the cycle lighting business, or so I've heard several times.

Just bought a Saferide and I also have an Ixon IQ that I've given to my wife. The Saferide no longer has the swivelling bracket that was the subject of the poor reviews. Now it's just a slide on, slide off bracket. I bought a spare bracket for my other bike. The bracket is rock solid on a 31.8 bar, but no quite so solid on the 26.8 bar, due to the rubber padding, but it doesn't move or wobble.

The Saferide is much brighter than the Ixon and seems to have a greater spread of light. I quite like the LED lit switch. It's easy to see it in the dark. My wife struggles a little with the switch on the Ixon because she can't see it. It's a rubberised black switch against a black plastic background. Early days, but I'm quite impressed with the Saferide though I paid £52 from Rose.

At £26, I might buy one for the wife and give the Ixon to my daughter's boyfriend.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
sloblock100

Post by sloblock100 »

'Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?'
'Germans'?
'Forget it, he's rolling.'
sloblock100

Post by sloblock100 »

The light I just posted a link too above is like daylight. Used recently in the night going through Clyne Valley near Swansea seafront where there was no ambient or artificial light. Completely bathed the whole forest and path in light. Had 4 2 winters now. Forget the usual high end or LED crap, this is what you need and the build quality is surprising excellent.
'Germans'?
sloblock100

Post by sloblock100 »

'Germans'?
gaz

Post by gaz »

beardy wrote:Why a few weeks? Three days should be enough.

If I had the misfortune to be at work in the next three days it would be enough, however I am not cursed in this manner and will stick with my proposed timescale before reporting back :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

sloblock100 wrote:The light I just posted a link too above is like daylight. Used recently in the night going through Clyne Valley near Swansea seafront where there was no ambient or artificial light. Completely bathed the whole forest and path in light. Had 4 2 winters now. Forget the usual high end or LED crap, this is what you need and the build quality is surprising excellent.
If you want to ride off road in a "forest" it maybe OK, but otherwise your description implies it's one of those dazzle everything lights, where most of the light goes where you don't want it when on a road. And hasn't it also got "LED crap"?!! - your words. :wink:

I have a Philips Saferide 60 - hub driven - and that gives out a good beam, but I using a different mount on the handlebars. I expect Saferide 80 battery to be similar, but brighter.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Rose have reduced the Philips Saferide 80 to £26. Sounds like the last chance to get one.
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/phil ... aid:642260
sloblock100

Post by sloblock100 »

MikeF wrote:
sloblock100 wrote:The light I just posted a link too above is like daylight. Used recently in the night going through Clyne Valley near Swansea seafront where there was no ambient or artificial light. Completely bathed the whole forest and path in light. Had 4 2 winters now. Forget the usual high end or LED crap, this is what you need and the build quality is surprising excellent.
If you want to ride off road in a "forest" it maybe OK, but otherwise your description implies it's one of those dazzle everything lights, where most of the light goes where you don't want it when on a road. And hasn't it also got "LED crap"?!! - your words. :wink:

I have a Philips Saferide 60 - hub driven - and that gives out a good beam, but I using a different mount on the handlebars. I expect Saferide 80 battery to be similar, but brighter.

Hey MikeF. I meant those cheapo led Halford's specials that give off less light than a poorly charged Nokia 3210. Clyne Valley has a cycle track running through beautiful woods; that was me thinking I was Eliot in E.T!
The light I have has bevelled edges and directs the light pretty well. It can also be easily micro adjusted by hand as it has a neat o-ring fitting. They are fab for the dough.
'Germans'?