Road lights to see

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
The fat commuter

Re: Road lights to see

Post by The fat commuter »

I've used my Saferide 80 once on total dark roads since its purchase. I'll give a proper review at the end of next week as I'm on evenings then so it should get a really decent road test.

I do use the light every day, regardless of whether it's dark or not. However, I noticed that when I was waiting behind cars at traffic lights, the light was pointing right through the car back window - so I adjusted it down a bit. Then though, on unlit roads it wasn't lighting far enough into the distance. I would feel unsafe riding faster than about 15mph. However, once I pointed it up a bit more, it was slightly better, but I was then coming back onto dark but lit roads so can't say how far I could see. I'd also got my Moon Meteor on constant by then which has a narrow but long beam (and probably does dazzle - but on one has complained).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that the light is OK but not brilliant. However, that is very likely due to user error rather than the inadequacies of the light. The end of next week will show for sure if this is the case.

What would be perfect would be to use the Saferide but have a second light with a switch next to my thumb that turned the light on and off - like a high beam type affair. This way, in traffic and when cars are around on unlit roads, I could turn the light off. Once back in total darkness though, I could put the light on and see into the distance.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The fat commuter wrote:so I adjusted it down a bit. Then though, on unlit roads it wasn't lighting far enough into the distance.
Mine is set pretty much to the German requirement
§67 (3): The middle of the beam (they say 'Lichtkegel' = lightcone) should at 5 m distance be at half the height of where it left the lamp.
taken from http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... mp-richten I'm happy at perhaps 20mph on dim setting in pitch black lanes, bright is saved for particularly dark or tree shaded corners.
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

oldstrath wrote:
beardy wrote:Anybody who was tempted by the Phillips Saferide 80 light may be even more so by this offer.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/phil ... opoffers:1

£26.20 +p&p inc batteries and charger!

Maybe I'm over interpreting, but the user reviews all suggest the saferide is heavy, and the mounting is poor. Anybody use them and disagree?

Yep I would. I've had a Saferide + dyno set up on the front of my touring bike for the best part of three years now and it's never missed a beat. Like you I read a bit about them and was a bit sceptical about the longevity of the mounting bracket, but someone recommended that you use a large diameter washer to spread the load and (touch wood) all seems fine. I'll acknowledge that the original bracket looks a bit slim & weedy and at speed it does vibrate, but for me those speeds are downhill only and well beyond my normal riding speed.

As for weight I've got nothing to compare it too, but as I'm no lightweight and it's used on a steel framed tourer, a few ounces here or there don't really make much difference to me.

Lastly as for the actual light the Saferide projects (as in it projects it down and onto the road where it's needed), simply the best I've ever used.
Last edited by NickWi on 25 Oct 2014, 6:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I've just ordered one. Must be better than the useless cateye candle I am currently using.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

sloblock100 wrote:
MikeF wrote:
sloblock100 wrote:The light I just posted a link too above is like daylight. Used recently in the night going through Clyne Valley near Swansea seafront where there was no ambient or artificial light. Completely bathed the whole forest and path in light. Had 4 2 winters now. Forget the usual high end or LED crap, this is what you need and the build quality is surprising excellent.
If you want to ride off road in a "forest" it maybe OK, but otherwise your description implies it's one of those dazzle everything lights, where most of the light goes where you don't want it when on a road. And hasn't it also got "LED crap"?!! - your words. :wink:

I have a Philips Saferide 60 - hub driven - and that gives out a good beam, but I using a different mount on the handlebars. I expect Saferide 80 battery to be similar, but brighter.

Hey MikeF. I meant those cheapo led Halford's specials that give off less light than a poorly charged Nokia 3210. Clyne Valley has a cycle track running through beautiful woods; that was me thinking I was Eliot in E.T!
The light I have has bevelled edges and directs the light pretty well. It can also be easily micro adjusted by hand as it has a neat o-ring fitting. They are fab for the dough.

The OP is looking for lights for use on the roads - bright to see with, but not to dazzle. I think yours is for off road use. If you search the forum you will find several posts on the topic of lights.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
sloblock100

Post by sloblock100 »

If you angle them correctly, they don't dazzle.
'Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?'
'Germans'?
'Forget it, he's rolling.'
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The fat commuter wrote:I've used my Saferide 80 once on total dark roads since its purchase. I'll give a proper review at the end of next week as I'm on evenings then so it should get a really decent road test.

I do use the light every day, regardless of whether it's dark or not. However, I noticed that when I was waiting behind cars at traffic lights, the light was pointing right through the car back window - so I adjusted it down a bit. Then though, on unlit roads it wasn't lighting far enough into the distance. I would feel unsafe riding faster than about 15mph. However, once I pointed it up a bit more, it was slightly better, but I was then coming back onto dark but lit roads so can't say how far I could see. I'd also got my Moon Meteor on constant by then which has a narrow but long beam (and probably does dazzle - but on one has complained).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that the light is OK but not brilliant. However, that is very likely due to user error rather than the inadequacies of the light. The end of next week will show for sure if this is the case.

What would be perfect would be to use the Saferide but have a second light with a switch next to my thumb that turned the light on and off - like a high beam type affair. This way, in traffic and when cars are around on unlit roads, I could turn the light off. Once back in total darkness though, I could put the light on and see into the distance.

The way I set up my Saferide was to take the bike onto the road, Pick a parked car 30 yards away and set the light up so that it shines on the number plate but not into the back window. It has quite a sharp cut off so it's fairly easy to do this. That way you can see the road 40-50 yards ahead, but you aren't blinding anyone.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

TrevA wrote:The way I set up my Saferide was to take the bike onto the road, Pick a parked car 30 yards away and set the light up so that it shines on the number plate but not into the back window. It has quite a sharp cut off so it's fairly easy to do this. That way you can see the road 40-50 yards ahead, but you aren't blinding anyone.

That's a good idea - will try that. Just thinking about it now, it's maybe me thinking that it's not quite as bright as you don't get anywhere as much scatter. So, when approaching reflective road signs placed at whatever height they are above the road (seven feet?), my other light with a lot of scatter will give loads of feedback from signs whereas this one doesn't.

It'll be Thursday before I'm next out at night, I'll try and adjust the lamp before then.

incidentally, I mentioned about looking for a light that could have a remote switch. In my Googling, one article stated that next year many more lights were going to arrive on the market with remote switches - unfortunately I can't find the article now. I did think about fitting a remote switch to a cheap Chinese light - but I am a bit bothered about the reviews about Chinese lights where the batteries catch fire on charging. Anyway, will see what my Saferide is like once properly adjusted.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

tatanab wrote:...Mine is set pretty much to the German requirement
§67 (3): The middle of the beam (they say 'Lichtkegel' = lightcone) should at 5 m distance be at half the height of where it left the lamp.
taken from http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... mp-richten .....

I got the impression Mr Swhs thought that rule was hopelessly vaque and ill-defined ?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

SteveHunter wrote:I've just ordered one. Must be better than the useless cateye candle I am currently using.

Mine arrived yesterday, I can't believe how incredibly bright this thing is. My brother is looking for a new light so I recommended this to him, it appears Rose have now sold out of these so unless he pays a lot more I doubt he will be getting one.

I'm very happy with mine for £40.00 including delivery.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

SteveHunter wrote:
SteveHunter wrote:I've just ordered one. Must be better than the useless cateye candle I am currently using.

Mine arrived yesterday, I can't believe how incredibly bright this thing is. My brother is looking for a new light so I recommended this to him, it appears Rose have now sold out of these so unless he pays a lot more I doubt he will be getting one.

I'm very happy with mine for £40.00 including delivery.

Yes it's really bright, much better than my 3 watt halogen dynamo light. I got mine from Rose a couple of days ago. However the batteries with mine are faulty. They are 2450 mAH when the instructions sheet and box say 2600 mAH and they have a date code of 10-12 or 2 years old! They wouldn't charge properly so I put them in my Lidl Tronic intelligent charger which is usually excellent. After a few hours one got so hot that the plastic covering melted and the other three still hadn't finished.

What are you batteries like? Are they OK?
Also did you get any guarantee information? I just have an instruction sheet.
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I don't have any guarantee information but my batteries are fine. I charged mine in my technoline intelligent charger.
Mine are 2450 as well but all took nearly 2600 after a full discharge which doesn't worry me as I will probably put eneloops in once these have died.