Tigra BikeCharge Power Converter

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sherpa

Tigra BikeCharge Power Converter

Post by Sherpa »

Hi all, My first post on this site, and as usual it's a few questions :roll:
I need to keep my phone topped up at all times, two elderly parents and a Grand child on the way. I was looking to fit a B&M E-WERK some time in the future but it's an expensive item! The Tigra power converter looks to be a bargain at a little under £20 from Evens Cycles. .Any one running a Tigra BikeCharge Power Converter with a Schmidt SON 28 Dynohub, direct to run a phone? Phone is a Galaxy s3 in a Tigra Power plus bike console , well will be should say.
Andy
RickH

Re: Tigra BikeCharge Power Converter

Post by RickH »

In theory it should be OK, but I would be inclined to use an inexpensive portable power source & charge that (or use the power source instead depending on how long you're going to be off grid at any one go). If the overvoltage circuitry fails you risk frying just a relatively cheap battery pack rather than your whole phone.

I've got a 5000mAh Veho Pebble which has worked well for me (I don't currentlly :? have a dynamo). I'm tempted to try one of these - 20,000mAh dual output, 1 of which which do 2.1A, (it was being plugged by MyMemory in an email I got today as I've bought stuff from them before) as the 5000mAh won't quite manage a full charge of my phablet's c. 4500mAh battery.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd also commend some sort of buffer.

I have a reecharge cache battery from when evans were selling them off cheap. The theory is good, but protect the £n00's of phone, charge a £n0 battery instead...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

Thanks lads, some good food for thought.
Andy