Cycle specific GPS unit

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
djsb

Cycle specific GPS unit

Post by djsb »

Hi,
I'm using my Garmin Zumo 660 motorcycle GPS on my touring bike. It does not have a bicycle use mode and INSISTS on sending me up hills that are fine on a motorcycle but too much on a bike. I'm looking for something that can run on rechargeable AA batteries and can use OS maps and OpenStreet map if possible. The most important thing is the ability to route me around steep hills on my 34 mile commute to work from Herts to Hillingdon. The only one I've looked at breifly so far is the Garmin 62s. Any other suggestions.
Thanks.

David.
Vantage

Re: Cycle specific GPS unit

Post by Vantage »

eTrex 20 every time.
Lots of us here love it :)
Not sure about routing around hills, but you do have the option of either, faster time or shorter distance.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

As you will be able to tell from the response I am about to make, I'm not a particular fan of GPS or SatNav telling me where to go, I've spent enough years in IT following computer-generated instructions and restrictions to carry it over to my hobby. (GPS I use when walking to check where I am, however! Or on the bike if I do get lost)

An OS map is cheaper, you can get a feel for the terrain yourself while planning the route. Then if you are happier using a GPS unit to give you directions - just program your chosen route into it. I found this very useful on the couple of occasions I used this technique (Using a Garmin eTrex with handlebar mount) but still feel happier stopping, checking the map, memorising the next bit of route and carrying on. Maybe 'cos I'm not that fit so I do need the rest every now and again :D.

If it's a route that I use regularly of course I need neither map nor GPS any more.

What GPS unit do I use - a Garmin eTrex HCx. Not cycle-specific but then its cheaper that way - or was last time I looked
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Etrex 30 here
Does everything that I need, includes ANT+, does it in all weathers, and a few bits that I've never used e.g. VIRB camera compatible, etc
And it's good if you enjoy walking, geocaching, etc
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There is a lot of choice from general use to cycle specific, simple recording devices to complex analytical data

Some allow cycle specific routing on maps, others will not route at all.

The best suggestion is to list what you want, and then compare the models that offer these facilities

Bryton and Garmin both have a good reputation.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Bought a Garmin in May after getting lost in France once too often, but just sold it. The reason it went was that I found the combination of Mr Fairhursts Cycle Travel route planner, Osmand on my smartphone so much better. I am not interested in my cycling performance or things like how much or little I have climbed. Very impressed by the quiet cycling route planning in Cycle Travel which transfers the route seamlessly into the Osmand Navigator and guides you visually with clear voice instructions. I have a 5000 mAh backup battery for the phone, an HTC One S which is now over two years old. That combination gives a couple of days continuous use. The phone sits in the transparent panel on top of my bar bag and can be operated normally through the plastic skin fully protected from the weather. I may get an additional 12000mAh battery now the prices have plummetted so much which will be ok for when camping. Garmins are neat robust devices with long battery life but seem to be a pain to operate to me. I suppose if you are familiar with how they work they are ok.

Cycle travel is free to use on the web and there is a free version of Osmand too so its easy to try this combination for free if you already own a smartphone.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......