freehub question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Re: freehub question

Post by 531colin »

So you want one of these, but the other way round??
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s150p2151
neilob

Post by neilob »

Actually both ways round......does the Campag spline Shimano spacing version exist?
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
recordacefromnew

Post by recordacefromnew »

neilob wrote:Actually both ways round......does the Campag spline Shimano spacing version exist?

Isn't that exactly what I said and linked to (ukbikestore) above? There are drop down menus for spline and spacing, in case you haven't noticed.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Missed the drop-down menu?
......I got so excited about the differential in the diameters of the various spacers that I missed the fact that you referred to Ambrosio cassettes at all!! :lol:
recordacefromnew

Post by recordacefromnew »

531colin wrote:......I got so excited about the differential in the diameters of the various spacers that I missed the fact that you referred to Ambrosio cassettes at all!! :lol:

Thankyou for reminding my dementia riddled brain that I forgot to respond to MickF's question about diameters!

Mick F wrote:
recordacefromnew wrote:Shimano spacers are too small to go on a Campag freehub.
As a matter of interest, how much too small?

They don't have to be accurately circular or even a particular shape, so it would be possible to file them to fit?
For instance, my Campag spacers aren't splined, they are just "washers" same as the Miche spacers.

IIRC it is around 3mm. The trouble is, for me anyway and I am sure it is because I haven't got a laser guided CNC machine (which poor workman doesn't blame his tools anyway? :D ), thinning out the ID of already thin spacers has excellent prospect of being a sh*t job with sh*t result!
neilob

Post by neilob »

Thanks everyone who contributed wisdom and insight? I now have a solution and, yes, I did miss the drop down menu options :roll:
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

What solution you gone for, if I may ask?
I should coco.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

3mm difference?
I'd be tempted to cut them and spring them out, or the other way round cut a small piece out and squeeze them inwards.

They are only spacers to hold the cogs apart. So long as they are the correct thickness, it doesn't matter if they're not concentric or complete.
Mick F. Cornwall
neilob

Post by neilob »

Valbrona, for the Campag wheel in 10 speed Shimano transmission I will buy an Ambrosio cassette (Campag spline and Shimano spacing). For the Shimano wheel in a 9 speed Campag transmission I am going to see if I really can use a Shimano 9 speed cassette because the spacing is virtually identical. I will provide an update.
gfk_velo

Post by gfk_velo »

The Daytona hub is mechanically the same as Record / Chorus etc of that year (Daytona was only in the range 1 year before it morphed into Centaur) and uses the same oversize axle and cassette body as not only these hubs but also the high ends of the Campagnolo & Fulcrum factory-built wheel ranges of that period.

Accordingly you can use rear hub axle FH-RE201 and cassette body FH-BUU015X1 from Campagnolo (also known by a different part # but actually the same part in the Fulcrum universe), allowing you to fit, with a spacer (supplied), a 9s Shimano cassette.

You need to change the axle as the new-design cassette bodies won't fit over the "bulge" at the gearside end of the oversize alloy axles made before 2006.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Campagnolo main UK SC
Head Technician and Director, Velotech Cycling Ltd,
Nationwide modular mechanic's training in all bicycle types
Campagnolo's main factory-appointed UK Technical and Service Centre
gfk_velo

Post by gfk_velo »

Mick F wrote:3mm difference?
I'd be tempted to cut them and spring them out, or the other way round cut a small piece out and squeeze them inwards.

They are only spacers to hold the cogs apart. So long as they are the correct thickness, it doesn't matter if they're not concentric or complete.

Yes, it does matter, Mick. We have seen sprocket failures where split spacers were used. In Shimano, Campag and in some third party makers, too. The twist load on a sprocket can be significant and in some cases, enough to cause a sprocket to fail where it is not supported all the way around the circumference of the cassette body.
Head Technician and Director, Velotech Cycling Ltd,
Nationwide modular mechanic's training in all bicycle types
Campagnolo's main factory-appointed UK Technical and Service Centre
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can it?
Why's that?

The sprocket bares on the splines for its turning force. The lockring correctly torqued up sandwiches the whole cassette as a single "lump".

Am I wrong?
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I suspect that spacers that are a good deal less than complete around the circumference, or that don't line up well on the diameter might introduce additional bending loads into the sprockets. But that the additional friction between circular spacers and the sprockets somehow reduces the hoop stresses in sprockets (with a complete ID) I do find hard to believe.

What I think might be possible is that with the relatively flimsy looking 'four legged' sprockets such as those used in some campag cassettes, plastic spacers (such as type M and type N) provide some additional support including in the lateral direction. So damaged spacers could lead to broken sprockets. In addition I would suppose that if the sprocket breaks, the spacers may crack soon after, so in the event of breakage, it may be difficult to determine which is the chicken and which is the egg here.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My point was that some spacers are only circular without any lugs.
If the Campag sprockets with "four legs" were held apart by them instead, I cannot see a problem.

From memory ........ the lugged spacers can fit in a variety of orientations, so the lugs can't be specific.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

like these;

if they crack you can be in trouble, I'd say. They only go on one way and they line up with the four legs on each cog.

Other simpler spacers, maybe not.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~