freehub question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
neilob

freehub question

Post by neilob »

I know that freehub bodies are specific to Shimano and Campag, and sometimes to the numbrr of speeds they will accept. But are they also specific to hub manufacturers? My question is, will a Shimano freehub body fit a Campag hub and vice versa?
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
mattsccm

Re: freehub question

Post by mattsccm »

That's probably even more manufacture specific. In fact even within makes they are not always swappable.
Eg I think 8 speed Campag won't go on later hubs.
Having said that some wheel makers make wheels/hubs that, with a swap of a freehub , will allow you to go from Campag to Shimano etc. Very hub specific.
What are you thinking of doing?
neilob

Post by neilob »

I have a set of Campag Daytona wheels with Campag freehub and a set of Ambrosio wheels with Shimano freehub that I want to swap over. Will the Campag freehub fit the Ambrosio wheels and vice versa?.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

neilob wrote:I have a set of Campag Daytona wheels with Campag freehub and a set of Ambrosio wheels with Shimano freehub that I want to swap over. Will the Campag freehub fit the Ambrosio wheels and vice versa?.

Don't know. Unlikely. Are we talking Ambrosio Zenith? You could try a more racing-orientated forum.

Normally it is the case that a freehub from one manufacturer will not fit on a hub from another manufacturer. But Ambrosio may be made to the same pattern as Campagnolo.
I should coco.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I have to say, if we are talking Ambrosio Zenith, they look very much like Novatec - the cassette body certainly looks like Novatec. Novatec freehub bodies are not exchangeable with Campag, but you might like to note that Novatec cassette bodies are quite cheap ... and they come in both Shimano and Campagnolo flavours.
I should coco.
neilob

Post by neilob »

A bit more detail.....the reason for the swap is to get a better range of gears on a 9 speed Campag equipped bike that has a standard road chainset. So I was hoping to get a 30 or even 32 cog on the back. Research suggests that there is pretty good chance that a 9 speed Shimano cassette will work because the spacing is pretty much the same. Ideally I would keep the current Campg wheels but just change the freehub.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The only way you could do it, is to dismantle the wheels and rebuild with the other hub.
Campag and Shimano hubs are very different and one bit won't fit on another.
Mick F. Cornwall
neilob

Post by neilob »

Thanks for the expert insight. Together with some research I am left with two new questions:
1. For a Campag 9 speed equiped bike: Because the spacing of Campag and Shimano 9 speed cassettes are so similar (about 0.1mm diff) could a Campag transmission run a Shimano cassette?
2. For a Shimano 10 speed equipped bike: Can I make a hybrid cassette using Campag 9 speed sprockets with spacers from a Shimano 10 speed cassette? I have done the maths and it should give about the right pitch albeit with only 9 speed available.

Trust me, there are good reasons for wanting to this!
recordacefromnew

Post by recordacefromnew »

You might have to play with spacer thickness a little but it is worth trying to see if you can use a Marchisio Campag 30T 10sp sprocket, from

http://www.webbline.co.uk/default.asp?pID=14
or
http://www.bellatisport.com/shop/shoppi ... php?id=284

For spacer/spacing issues see http://www.highpath.net/highpath/cycles/info/cassettes.html

If you are keeping the chain you should check to see if it is long enough, you might also want to check if the rear mech might go slack on small small with the new range (every 4T = a pair of extra links) and can handle the larger sprocket size (every 2mm between top jockey and large sprocket = an extra T).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Shimergo is the way to go maybe?
No expert on this, but I'm sure it can be done by re-clamping the gear cable somehow so each Ergo click develops a different pull on the mech to cope with the Shimano/Campag.

As for the spacers, I don't see why not except the cogs may be different thicknesses requiring different spacer thicknesses.

Not the same thing I know, but my Campag 10sp cassette has thinner sprockets than my previous Campag 10sp cassette because the cogs are thinner on my 12-30 compared to my 13-29 but Campag 9sp and some Campag 10sp cassettes are the same thicknesses. How Shimano compare to this, I ain't got a clue, but it needs to be factored in.
Mick F. Cornwall
recordacefromnew

You can't put Shimano spacers on a Campag freehub. The latter diameter is greater.
neilob

Post by neilob »

Goodness, ain't life complicated! The bottom line to all this is that I have a beautiful Colnago which is 10 speed Shimano and I have just acquired a set of Campag 9,10 speed wheels with Colnago branded Ambrosio rims. They are just screaming out to be put together but I can't figure out how. Obviously I don't want to spend a fortune. Highpath looks like a good bet for advice and hardware.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

How much will the greater diameter make?
Once the cassette is tightened up, the spacers won't move.
Mick F. Cornwall
recordacefromnew

neilob wrote:Goodness, ain't life complicated! The bottom line to all this is that I have a beautiful Colnago which is 10 speed Shimano and I have just acquired a set of Campag 9,10 speed wheels with Colnago branded Ambrosio rims. They are just screaming out to be put together but I can't figure out how. Obviously I don't want to spend a fortune. Highpath looks like a good bet for advice and hardware.

With or without the Marchisio sprocket, you can also use a Campag splined Shimano spaced cassette on your Colnago/Ambrosio wheel such as one of these http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/387/ambr317/ambrosio-10-speed-cassette.html

Mick F wrote:How much will the greater diameter make?
Once the cassette is tightened up, the spacers won't move.

Shimano spacers are too small to go on a Campag freehub.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

recordacefromnew wrote:Shimano spacers are too small to go on a Campag freehub.
As a matter of interest, how much too small?

They don't have to be accurately circular or even a particular shape, so it would be possible to file them to fit?
For instance, my Campag spacers aren't splined, they are just "washers" same as the Miche spacers.
Mick F. Cornwall