Strange rim fault

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Strange rim fault

Post by 531colin »

This may be a bit left field, but..............has anybody seen this rim fault before?

Here is the rim. looking all innocent.....

.......and here it is, with (a bit of?) the internal sleeve that splints the rim joint slipped down against the nipple....

You may have heard what it sounds like if an idiot wheelbuilder loses a nipple inside the rim.......this is much louder!

I think the rim joint is welded and has an internal sleeve that reinforces the join. That looks like the end of the sleeve resting against the nipple in the second shot......some of it, at least, must have come away???

Now, what with me never having seen anything like this before, and my pal wanting his chair back, I wasn't really concentrating, but I think the wheels were these "Spinergy LX".....http://www.sportaid.com/spinergy-wheelchair-wheels-lx-slx-wheels-22-24-25-26-700c.html....http://www.epc-wheelchairs.co.uk/products/232/spinergy-spox-lightweight-wheelchair-wheels---from-andpound-199-00.htm
Stewart H

Re: Strange rim fault

Post by Stewart H »

If you push it with a thin implement can you get to see the other end at the next spoke hole, if so how long is it ?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
My mavic xc717's developed a "Penny" click click some time after I built the wheels, you dont here it riding but only when wheels are turned at a slow walk :?
Its got to be the internal crimping key as they are not welded, IIRC you can see the crimp marks on the inside of rim.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the noisy mavics are probably that way because there is swarf inside the rim; I've seen that a few times.

I've not seen a loose joining key though, not like that one in Colin's pictures!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Its not swarf, swarf would not make a click (loud) at a certain position of wheel, if you spin the wheel it happens at points 180 round the rim when the key passes 12 & 6 O'clock.
Swarf makes a sand type noise, so both rims click and thats swarf, does every rim of this model have swarf :?:
Swarf would either tinkle all round the rim or get stuck on one of the spokes :?:
Sounds like a loose washer M8 or larger.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

swarf usually makes a 'tinkling' sound ( -is this the same as a spending a penny sound...? :roll: ). From your revised description of it I agree you probably don't have swarf.

BTW any kind of sticky crud you can get into the rim will have a fair chance of causing these kinds of noise to quit.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
"531colin" 's rim might well have an Extra key :?:
Penny flop, not penny tinkle :)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Stewart H wrote:If you push it with a thin implement can you get to see the other end at the next spoke hole, if so how long is it ?

It slid quite freely in the rim as I tilted the rim, hitting each end of its travel with a "clunk". I didn't try pushing it, but when sliding it sounded like it hit the rim joint one end, and the nipple the other end, it never got past the rim joint. (there are about 12 spokes in the wheel, so they are a fair way apart.)
.....so N.A. has a point......
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
"531colin" 's rim might well have an Extra key :?: ...........

EDIT...on the rim-tape side there are what I take to be spot-weld marks either side of the join, to fix the "key"....?

......I put some Evo-Stick in there to try to quieten the rim for my pal's holiday, but I'm not impressed in a year old chair.....
Last edited by 531colin on 12 Sep 2014, 7:20am, edited 2 times in total.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

My mavic xc717's developed a "Penny" click click some time after I built the wheels, you dont here it riding but only when wheels are turned at a slow walk :?
Its got to be the internal crimping key as they are not welded, IIRC you can see the crimp marks on the inside of rim.

If the rim is crimped not welded, and the "key" is loose, exactly what is holding the rim together?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
531colin wrote:

If the rim is crimped not welded, and the "key" is loose, exactly what is holding the rim together?

I am assuming that the key is rattling, and its ridden and not comming apart so the spokes :?:
I can never tell without complete dimantling..............fell sure its safe.