SPA CYCLES XD-2 Touring Triple Chainset Compatibility.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Easy Rider

SPA CYCLES XD-2 Touring Triple Chainset Compatibility.

Post by Easy Rider »

Hi all,

Just bought one of these and intend to run on Campag 10 speed.

Is anyone running this or any other 10 speed gearset and does it run ok?

It doesnt mention compatibility on the website.

Thanks for any input.

John.
Valbrona

Re: SPA CYCLES XD-2 Touring Triple Chainset Compatibility.

Post by Valbrona »

I have run one on Campag 10 speed. A lot depends on what rings you plan to use - I don't necessarily mean what make, but what number of teeth. I wouldn't call one of these 'properly 10 speed' as the chain would jam between inner and middle ring, but that may not have been the case with different sizes of chainring.
I should coco.
maff1977

Post by maff1977 »

don't know about 10 spd campag but works great with a 5 speed sunrace freewheel :lol:
Easy Rider

Post by Easy Rider »

Hi

Its 28/38/48.

Thanks.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Mine was 26/36/46 Stronglight rings - I could get my REcord triple FD low enough down the seat tube as it does not attach with a bracket. No problems with middle/outer changes, but as stated above, the chain would occasionally jam between inner/middle depending on exactly which shift I was making at the time.

Eventually switched to Stronglight Fission Triple and problem did not exist. But this crank broke and was warrantied.

Be interesting to see how you get on.
I should coco.
MGate

Post by MGate »

I've run 24/36/46 on Campag 10 and 9 on the XD 2 (same pattern as the Stronglight). The 10 speed uses a long drop derailleur, the 9 a medium. Both work fine. On a medium cage there is some slack in the chain on the inner 24 ring and the smallest sprocket at the back - but I never ride with that combination so put up with it. No other issues. They fit a campag BB fine even though they are JIS axle standard - which is ok as long as you are not taking them on and off all the time (according to Sheldon Brown anyhow) but you may need to check your BB axle length for clearance.

Some pictures here:

https://fiomull.wordpress.com/the-bikes/
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

I have the double with the Stronglight rings and I'm running it fine with Shimano 10 speed. Personally, I've yet to find any 7-10 speed chain/chainring/chainset combination that doesn't work.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I have a Stronglight Impact triple , which I believe is very similar to the Spa one, on my audax/tourer. It has 48/36/24 rings and runs Shimano Ultegra 6700 shifters and front mech and a 9 speed Shimano XT rear mech. Works a treat.

Edit: Cassette is 12-32 SRAM 1050
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Impact/XD2 are fine with 9 speed, as in Spa's own tourer specs. http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p2554
10 speed is a bit modern for me, but I have a hazy recollection that this has come up before on the forum....I can't imagine how you would search for it!