Difference between "winter" tyres and studded tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
horizon

Re: Difference between "winter" tyres and studded tyres

Post by horizon »

CJ wrote:
Winter tyres I could use every year for several months, and be significantly safer on any icy patches I meet, especially the ones I don't see first!

So mi'lord, I ask the witness again, "Do winter tyres keep you upright on the ice or not?" Because if they do not, I put it to this court that they are in fact no better than ordinary tyres. Either they do or they don't. Either your bum is bruised or it is not. Better is not good enough. I rest my case mi'lord.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mig

Post by mig »

yes they will. i have ridden in full control, downhill on glare ice. 700 x 35c winter marathons inflated to maybe 55psi.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

mig wrote:yes they will. i have ridden in full control, downhill on glare ice. 700 x 35c winter marathons inflated to maybe 55psi.

Winter Marathons are the studded tyres, are they?
gaz

Post by gaz »

[youtube]-k7K0MKVxSA[/youtube]
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mig

Post by mig »

The fat commuter wrote:
mig wrote:yes they will. i have ridden in full control, downhill on glare ice. 700 x 35c winter marathons inflated to maybe 55psi.

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/spike-reader/marathon-winter.html

aye.
horizon

Post by horizon »

mig wrote:
The fat commuter wrote:

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/spike-reader/marathon-winter.html

aye.

This is my point. Studded are brilliant and effective. "Winter" tyres (i.e. non-studded but with better compound in the cold) may be excellent on cold wet greasy frosty surfaces but not 100% on ice itself. That doesn't make "winter" tyres useless but you may still want to use studded when conditions (rare as they are) demand it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I read of some people only fitting a front spiked tire, as this allows quicker swapping: they just accelerate more gently.

Has anyone done this for unspiked winter tyres?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

SA_SA_SA wrote:I read of some people only fitting a front spiked tire, as this allows quicker swapping: they just accelerate more gently.

Has anyone done this for unspiked winter tyres?

AFAIK there's only one non-studded winter tyre out there the Conti Top Contact Winter II

The benefit of that tyre has to be that it is suitable for a wider range of conditions and is thus much more convenient to leave on over the whole winter. From what I read it isn't a slow tyre in the same way that studded or heavily treaded tyres are. If you are going to go changing tyres according to conditions you'd be better off with a set of proper studded tyres because you aren't going to bother with the faff of changing unless things look suitably perilous
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Bicycler wrote:AFAIK there's only one non-studded winter tyre out there the Conti Top Contact Winter II

There's also, at the other size extreme, the Michelin Pro4 Grip in x23 only. This, and the Top Contact Winter, still seem to be the only two with a tread compound optimised for cold conditions (as distinct from the various '4 season' tyres designed for a wider temperature range). Hence this topic being academic for all those (the majority?) who need tyres in any size between x23 and x37!
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I apologise to the OP for I think I'm hijacking your thread a little. My ears have pricked up as I've always fancied some winter spiked tyres.

One question: I currently run 26x1.75s on my bike. Is the profile that much different on 26x1.75 winter spiked tyres? I'm asking as I have full mudguards and just want to make sure there will be free.

Many thanks...................hc

Edit: Fat fingers and typed in imaginary tyre sizes!
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 27 Nov 2014, 5:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Heltor Chasca wrote:One question: I currently run 26x1.15s on my bike. Is the profile that much different on 26x1.75 winter spiked tyres? I'm asking as I have full mudguards and just want to make sure there will be free.

That's a big difference. Do you mean 26x1.5? If so it's about an extra half centimetre. My studded tyres are slightly smaller than the other tyres I have in the same size.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vantage wrote:Dunno 'bout you lot, but with the exception of blizzards, I've rode through every weather the UK has thrown at me.

Me too, but I did end up sideways on the ground last winter. That didn't happen in the harsher winters before where it was properly obviously icy - I slid the back end a bit, but stayed upright.
beardy wrote:Studded tyres work fine while you are riding the bike on ice but not much use when you are pushing it or even just putting your foot down carelessly.

I think I've seen some howlers on video where someone has put a foot down and suddenly discovered the spiked tyres have traction but their foot does not :-(

http://www.cesarvanrongen.nl/projecten/ ... tting.html still says "I hope they will be available next fall." Is there anything similar actually available in/to the UK? Has anyone here tried that spray-on car tyre grip on bike tyres?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Bicycler wrote:AFAIK there's only one non-studded winter tyre out there the Conti Top Contact Winter II

The benefit of that tyre has to be that it is suitable for a wider range of conditions and is thus much more convenient to leave on over the whole winter. From what I read it isn't a slow tyre in the same way that studded or heavily treaded tyres are. If you are going to go changing tyres according to conditions you'd be better off with a set of proper studded tyres because you aren't going to bother with the faff of changing unless things look suitably perilous

I'll give a review of these tyres over the winter as I've just ordered some today.

I didn't think studded tyres were suitable for me for my commute to and from work. Apart from the 100 meters from my house to the main road, the roads are usually snow free in winter. They do suffer from frost though so I'm hoping that these tyres will be similar to winter car tyres in their grippyness - time will tell. I'm also reluctant to put spiked tyres on as there are stacks of metal obstacles that I have to negotiate on the way too and from work. As well as the tram tracks, there are oodles of manhole covers on my route.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Bicycler wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:One question: I currently run 26x1.15s on my bike. Is the profile that much different on 26x1.75 winter spiked tyres? I'm asking as I have full mudguards and just want to make sure there will be free.

That's a big difference. Do you mean 26x1.5? If so it's about an extra half centimetre. My studded tyres are slightly smaller than the other tyres I have in the same size.

I need to birch myself! Sorry typo: 1.75 (I'll edit) :oops: ...............hc
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Ah, okay. Well mine are 26x1.9 and are slightly smaller than my normal tyres in the same size but well within the normal variation you can get between two different types of tyres in the same size. I'd have thought studded tyres wouldn't be a problem if non-studded tyres of the same size fit. Remember that you may need a bit of extra mudguard clearance when cycling in snow.