Seized pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
karlt

Re: Seized pedals

Post by karlt »

Found a spare RH crank+spider and LH crank in my box of bits with the same BCD - so I'm taking the alternative option. But speaking of stripping threads, guess what I've managed to do with the existing LH crank with the crank puller?

Ne'er mind; there's a cartridge BB of the right size in the same box of bits, so I'm just dismantling the existing adjustable BB. Life's too short...
karlt

Re: Seized pedals

Post by karlt »

What a palaver!

The BB turned out to be too short (old one was asymmetrical so the same length left the drive side too short); replaced this with a longer one and put on the other cranks; also turned out that BCD wasn't the same, although you needed a bleedin' microscope on the ruler to see the difference! Put the cranks on with the rings that they had with them but found the inner ring was worn; only other ones I have are BioPace (remember them?) but very late ones that look circular to the eye. Those are on. Bike rides nicely now with SPDs on so mission accomplished; not sure about the BioPace but I can't actually feel any difference in riding and the inner is 40 rather than 42 which is no bad thing.

Learnt a lot doing this rebuild. Worth it just for that, to be honest, never mind getting a commuter out of it to save my goodish bike for the weekends. There'll be a piccy soon.