Anodised Rims Screech & Judder?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
deliquium

Anodised Rims Screech & Judder?

Post by deliquium »

Has anyone any experience of anodised rims and braking surfaces?

I used a pair (Halo Whiteline 700c) to re-rim a pair of worn rimmed wheels the other day. I like the plain low profile look of them. Been fine in normal use. Front pads are half worn Koolstop salmon and rears are nearly new BBB Tristops.

Yesterday descending the Llanberis Pass at speed and needing to brake very hard, both wheels screeched like I have never heard before in my life and produced a very scary judder. I was only just able to keep control. If it had been a full on emergency stop I'm sure I would have crashed!

Given that the previous rims DRC ST19 (with machined braking surfaces) had been down most of North Wales steep descents without issue, should I lay the finger of blame on the anodising of the replacement rims?
Last edited by deliquium on 12 Sep 2014, 9:41pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
iandriver

Re: Halo Whiteline Anodised Rims Screech & Judder?

Post by iandriver »

Squeel and judder is a fairly common problem. Have you set a toe in on the blocks? http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/brake-squeal.html
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
deliquium

Re: Anodised Rims Screech & Judder?

Post by deliquium »

Edited for generic non specific make of rims
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"