Could anyone recommend a computer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
thatruddyvicar

Could anyone recommend a computer

Post by thatruddyvicar »

I think I'd like a computer to help my training.

The functions I'd like are speed, distance cadence and heartbeat.

At the minute I use nap my ride just to track what I've done and publish the od one on Facebook.

I do have strava as well and am planning to try it out.

Am I better getting a heartbeat monitor for my phone and using it with phone, the problem with that is I can't see the phone it just sits in my saddle bag.

The garmin stuff looks good but is more than I'd like to spend.

Just thinking of something perhaps from the cat eye range I can mount and keep an eye on as I go.

Any ides?
freeflow

Re: Could anyone recommend a computer

Post by freeflow »

What phone do you have?
thatruddyvicar

Post by thatruddyvicar »

iPhone 4s, thinking about a 5.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Sorry. I only have experience of android.
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

How log do you plan on being out? Just thinking of battery life. Strava app on iPhone is pretty handy. Or a basic gps computer which you can then upload to Strava etc.
thatruddyvicar

Post by thatruddyvicar »

Usually between 1 & 3 hours. Occasional long days but don't really need the computer for that ass I'm usually sightseeing rather than training then.
bryce

Post by bryce »

Do you want to look at the data during the ride or afterwards?

Getting a heart rate strap for your phone is probably the cheapest option to record that data. A cheap computer with cadence will let you see your cadence. It's possible to mount your phone on your handlebars which may be OK for the occasional training ride if you mostly look at heart rate afterwards.

I don't know if there are cheap cycle computers that'll both display and record heart rate and cadence.
DickieB

Post by DickieB »

I have one of these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/count-14-wireless-cycling-computer-id_8181213.html which I've recently swapped from my road bike onto my tourer (somehow, in the great holiday pack-up, my computer and a set of lights simply vanished). If memory serves correctly, you'd need to get a heart strap, as I don't think one is supplied with it, but the Decathlon one is fine. The computer is ant+ compatible, so if you already have a heart strap you could use it. On the page I linked to, in the middle paragraph of the blurb about the computer, there is a link to download software to record your suffering for posterity.
The mounting instructions show the non-drive side chainstay-mounted cadence and speed sensor above the stay, however I thought it made more sense to be under the stay, and hence be knocked away from the wheel rather than into it in the event of any problem... This seems to work just fine, and is essential on my Randonneur which has spare spokes mounted on the top of the non-drive stay. You can set the computer up for up to 3 different bikes. Operating instructions perhaps aren't the clearest, but with a bit of imagination, they kind of make sense...

Usual disclaimers: I don't work for Decathlon etc., but it seems to do what it's supposed to, has been reliable for the last 2 1/2 yrs or so, and for a comparatively reasonable price.

Richard
thatruddyvicar

Post by thatruddyvicar »

Cheers Richard, looks good.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have a cheap computer connected up to show decicadence (10.0mph indicated is 100rpm)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Hop3y

Post by Hop3y »

Garmin Edge 200.
thatruddyvicar

Post by thatruddyvicar »

Cheers, I've been looking and I'm starting to think Garmin might be the way to go. Thinking 200, 500 or 510.
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

thatruddyvicar wrote:Cheers, I've been looking and I'm starting to think Garmin might be the way to go. Thinking 200, 500 or 510.

I use the Garmin 800 and can't fault it. I don't often use the maps but it is handy if needed. If I had a choice again reckon I'd be happy with the 500/510.
c53204

Post by c53204 »

I'm almost buying a Mio Cyclo 505HC. A lot cheaper than the 810/1000 edge. The HC version comes with cadence and HR belt. Less than £300 if you look on the rainforest site.