Old Reynold 531 bikes and frame size..

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Verbatim

Old Reynold 531 bikes and frame size..

Post by Verbatim »

Hello everyone, I'm not too clued up about frame sizes my only interest is the old Reynolds 531 frames. I had presumed I should take a 21 1/2 seat tube or roughly 54cm or 55cm..

I'm around 5' 10 1/2" with 31 1/2" legs and according to this site

http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer/road-bike/ I should take a 21 1/2 / 54 cm inch seat tube.

I would like a touring set up although I'll be using it in town.

I am told however that with these old bikes I should consider a larger sized frame? Even 23"? Given my height? That the online sizing's are for modern style bikes?

Given my criteria could anyone clarify what I should take in these old Reynolds 531 frames?
531colin

Re: Old Reynold 531 bikes and frame size..

Post by 531colin »

If you want the handlebars level with the saddle you will either need a big frame ( say 22 1/2") or a high-rise stem, which won't be "period correct", (although you don't say that is important to you)
Is it a 31 1/2" trouser or crotch to floor?
Verbatim

Post by Verbatim »

531colin wrote:If you want the handlebars level with the saddle you will either need a big frame ( say 22 1/2") or a high-rise stem, which won't be "period correct", (although you don't say that is important to you)
Is it a 31 1/2" trouser or crotch to floor?

I'm about a 31 1/2" to 31" crotch to the floor...

I don't have to be period correct just comfort really...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I'd say you would be fine on a 23" frame if it is an older one. Remember that the reach on older frames isn't wildly different on larger sizes, it is mainly the handlebar height you need to worry about I guess.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I'm about 32" crotch to floor, I get bars and saddle level with a 23 1/2" frame and a standard (old-fashioned) handlebar stem, so I'll stick with my original guess of 22 1/2" frame for you......not much standover clearance, though!
(I'm thinking old-fashioned stem to fit old-fashioned bars.....the diameter varies......if you go for new diameter bars, you can have a newer type stem with a bit of a rise, and more standover for the same bar height)
....I wouldn't argue with Brucey over half an inch..... :wink:
Verbatim

Post by Verbatim »

Yes I think you maybe right 22 1/2 inch it is then, otherwise not enough crotch clearance.. I am looking at a lovely 23" / 58 cm 531st tourer, just worried it may be too large for me..

So what are the advantaged/disadvantages of going with a bigger frame? From a touring / comfort perspective..

You guys mentioned saddle height and bars level?
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Verbatim said,
So what are the advantaged/disadvantages of going with a bigger frame? From a touring / comfort perspective..

Different sized frames will often have different measurements all round, not just the seat tube, and possibly different frame angles. These will impact on comfort/position and in more extreme cases toe/wheel overlap and standover height. If you buy a complete bike that is unnecessarily big, be prepared to faff about to achieve comfort
Bigger frame = greater weight and greater flexibility (for the same make/model)
Bigger frame = less seatpin exposed = less room for seatpin mountings, e.g. rear lamps
Bigger frame = more room for frame mountings, e.g. bottle cages, pumps, etc
Bigger frames tend to be less common, although 22 1/2" probably isn't so difficult to find
Unnecessarily large frames aren't as aesthetically pleasing (IMHO :) )

Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

531 frames came in half-inches.
They were measured from centre to centre BB to TT.

Mine is 23.5"
I'm 5ft 9 and a bit with 32" inside leg.
Catalogue.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

A couple more of those old "rule of thumb" guidelines to frame size and fit from that time.
Frame size is inside leg less 10 " (some say 9")
If you can grip the exposed saddle pillar in you fist then the frame is about right.

I have 32" inside leg and ride 22" frames, which happens to put about 4" of exposed saddle pillar which I can just clamp in my fist.

I have used everything from 24" to 21" when that was all I could afford. 24" meant the saddle was as low as it could go (stand over height is a modern phobia) and 21" meant that my handlebar stem was right on the minimum insertion mark so the bars were a bit flexible.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm an inch and a bit taller than the OP. I've a 23 inch roadster which is comfortable. Just enough stand over height and it feels very planted on the road, more so than the 21" (I think) hybrid. I think if you went too big, it could be heavy and tiring to steer and cumbersome to mount/dismount, while too small could get twitchy and push you rather upright.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Verbatim wrote:Yes I think you maybe right 22 1/2 inch it is then, otherwise not enough crotch clearance.. I am looking at a lovely 23" / 58 cm 531st tourer, just worried it may be too large for me..

You guys mentioned saddle height and bars level?

Can you get a ride on the 23"? That will make the decision so much easier.
The difference between 23" and 22 1/2" is just half an inch, and if you are comfortable with the standover, just buy it. The sky won't fall in over half an inch difference in frame "size".....there can be more difference in things like handling between 2 makes of 23" frames than there is between a 23 and 22 1/2" of the same make.
AS LONG AS YOU CAN GET THE BARS AND SADDLE WHERE YOU WANT THEM, then frame "size" is no big deal. You could ride a 21" if you were happy with either the bars lower than the saddle, or a modern riser handlebar stem.
(at the extremes of size, difficulties start to creep in....if you are 5' tall, or 6' 6"......)
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

if you were happy with either the bars lower than the saddle, or a modern riser handlebar stem.

On one of my bikes I failed to find a 1" stem with both enough reach and enough height since they are now pretty rare. I went for one with adjustable angle from Rose in Germany:-
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtreme-multigrade-stem-27146/aid:27148 It's OK though about 200 gm heavier than a fixed one woud be and almost *too* long. They are highly adjustable since angling up increases height and reduces reach while sliding up and down just adjusts height. I went for 110 mm since I wanted extra height and a reach of about 90 mm.

Rather as Colin points out, in my case it was a case of big frame gives more bar height but too much reach. Small frame less reach but maybe not enough bar height.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

NetworkMan wrote:...........
in my case it was a case of big frame gives more bar height but too much reach. Small frame less reach but maybe not enough bar height.

that is often the trade-off.
1" quill stems are much less common now, but if you get something like this......http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s88p1833 you can then use a modern "ahead" stem that are far more numerous.......you may also need to shim the handlebar to fit it.....