BaseCamp With OpenStreetMap Question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Psamathe

BaseCamp With OpenStreetMap Question

Post by Psamathe »

(All on a Mac) I've downloaded Basecamp just to get a decent OSM offline viewer and I've downloaded the maps from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl (tried both new and generic routable).

And the maps are all displaying very compressed east-west
Untitled.jpg

(I've double checked and it appears in the forum as it does on my screen).

The "distortion" remains at all zoom levels.

I can't find any options to change anything relevant. I must be doing something wrong so any pointers very much appreciated.

(If in inappropriate forum section, please feel free to move).

Many thanks
Ian

Then I noticed:
The built-in Global map looks (to me) distorted/compressed north-south
Untitled1.jpg
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: BaseCamp With OpenStreetMap Question

Post by Mick F »

I'm a Mac person, but that looks to me like it's the map that's wrong and nothing to do with your Mac or BC.

Does the basemap show correctly? The basemap is part of the BC software.
Saying that, the basemap appears squidged a bit north/south.
Screen shot 2014-08-30 at 10.52.42.png

Personally, I steer well clear of BC. Too complicated by half but at least it works offline.
I use Ascent, and although the maps are online, the maps are held in a cache so if you go to the zoom levels at the areas you want whilst you have access to the 'net, the maps will come out when offline. I've used this method many times when I've not had access to WiFi.
----------------------------------
PS.
It looks like we've cross posted! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
skicat

Post by skicat »

It's to do with something called the "Projection Angle". There's a tool called GMTK (Garmin Map Tool Kit) that allows you to change it. It's available for Mac and can be downloaded from here. Every map used by Basecamp and Mapsource has this value set, and it's different for every map. I don't know how yours came to be wrong. I can guide you through fixing it if you're not confident with GMTK. It is a bit of a daunting tool but you only need about 1% of its functionality to fix this problem.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

skicat wrote:It's to do with something called the "Projection Angle". There's a tool called GMTK (Garmin Map Tool Kit) that allows you to change it. It's available for Mac and can be downloaded from here. Every map used by Basecamp and Mapsource has this value set, and it's different for every map. I don't know how yours came to be wrong. I can guide you through fixing it if you're not confident with GMTK. It is a bit of a daunting tool but you only need about 1% of its functionality to fix this problem.

Got is and it was set to "Let Basecamp Decide". If I switch to a fixed value it defaults to 35 deg. Any suggestions about what it should be set to ?

Many thanks
Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Think I've sorted it setting Projection Angls to around 55 deg (for a UK map).

Many thanks
Ian
skicat

Post by skicat »

I think the correct value is your current latitude so anything between 50 and 55 would look about right.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get