Wheel/freehub advice please?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
theredsnapper

Wheel/freehub advice please?

Post by theredsnapper »

Hello folks,

I'm in the process of updating my girlfriends Bianchi mega pro L, it seems a lovely lightweight bike, but just needs some work on the gears and a general service.

In the course of doing this I've got a Shimano 105 5700 group to fit, though I'm wondering if:

a) the rear frame will be wide enough to accomodate the 10sp cassette, I've measured it at 126mm?

b) will the existing 105 hubbed, Nth 420/520 rimmed wheels accept a 10sp cassette?

Hope this doesn't sound too stupid a question, or am I just worrying about nothing?

Cheers in advance,

Red
Brucey

Re: Wheel/freehub advice please?

Post by Brucey »

no, no and no respectively.

10s road hubs are 130mm oln so you can rework your frame to 130mm (sometimes) or (probably better) stick with a 126mm hub.

You may find you can fit a 9/10 cassette to a 126mm freehub BTW. 10s also fits most 8s freehubs with no issues. If your frame is 126mm then you should have no more than 7s. If you already have 8s or higher then someone has sprung a wheel in already or your measurements are screwy somehow.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
theredsnapper

Post by theredsnapper »

Hmm, cheers Brucey!

It could be me having a brain fart! I'll measure again as it's already sporting a 9sp cassette!

Cheers,

Red
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

The Bianchi Mega Pro is a contemporary bike, so to speak, with 130mm OLD at the rear, as you have already realised. As ridden by Macro Pantani ...
I should coco.
theredsnapper

Post by theredsnapper »

Yes, cancel all of the above, I was having a bit of a hiccup last night, re measured, definitely 130mm!

Thanks folks,

Red