What electronics do you use for navigation or tracking?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.

I use a...?

Poll ended at 27 Sep 2014, 12:53pm

Garmin device
45%
Other GPS-centric device
1%
Android smartphone
21%
iPhone
9%
Windows smartphone
1%
Other smartphone
No votes
Something else
10%
Nothing
12%

Total votes: 77

mjr

What electronics do you use for navigation or tracking?

Post by mjr »

This is just an informal 30-day poll to see what the current state of the forum is. I'd love it if anyone posted UK numbers for this in general. Ask questions if I've goofed and I'll try to clarify.
Last edited by mjr on 28 Aug 2014, 9:14pm, edited 3 times in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
andrew_s

Re: What do you use for navigation or tracking?

Post by andrew_s »

Do paper maps come under "something else" or "nothing"?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Not going to answer 'till I see Satmap Active in there... ;-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

GPS logging dongle.
Just bought a Garmin for a specific ride - the price I paid, I'll keep it for next time.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
lisap

Post by lisap »

andrew_s wrote:Do paper maps come under "something else" or "nothing"?

I wondered this as well so have put nothing as I don't use any electronic devices.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm interested in electronic devices in this instance, so please put "nothing" if you're using paper maps, route cards, road signs, direction of the sun, exploration and other crazy things I may have once used ;-)
simonineaston wrote:Not going to answer 'till I see Satmap Active in there... ;-)

I think that's "Other GPS-centric Device". If you can point me at something saying Satmap's got significant market share, I'll add it as a distinct option, but satmap.com is a bit quiet on that and it looks like it only got opencyclemap support this June. There's a limit of something like 10 options in a poll, so I can't add everything, sadly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

I use a Garmin Edge 800 for pre-planned routes, but if I get lost I pull out my iPhone, which is actually any good at helping me decide where to go from wherever I’m lost. For the purposes of the poll I only mentioned the Garmin.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

.........this will generate a lot of flak, but I'll say it anyway...........

Andrew - your question is an intelligent one, but the answer you've received shows ignorance.
mjr

Post by mjr »

JohnW wrote:.........this will generate a lot of flak, but I'll say it anyway...........

Andrew - your question is an intelligent one, but the answer you've received shows ignorance.

Flak for being completely uninformative and humorless? :roll:
LollyKat

Re: What electronics do you use for navigation or tracking?

Post by LollyKat »

I was just going to suggest the OP change the thread title but he's beaten me to it :D

So, back to the question - since last year I have been using a Garmin.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Garmin Montana at the moment, but it has been a Garmin Edge 305 and latterly a Garmin Edge 705.

In all the years - 2006 to the present day - I've used a Garmin PLUS a paper map when off on my travels, but locally I'll only use the Garmin.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

JohnW wrote:

.........this will generate a lot of flak, but I'll say it anyway...........

No the answer is a clarification of the point of the question - which isn't to suggest what's best, but's used by people who frequent this back water of the inter-tubes.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hamish

Post by hamish »

I don't use anything for tracking but I do use an iPhone for navigating. I already have an iPhone and so it's free!

Also the screen seems so much better than anything else I have tried. I use Outdoor maps which gives me the whole of wales for a tenner.
Last edited by hamish on 28 Aug 2014, 9:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

This is a much better way of reaching a balanced conclusion as it stops a few people dominating a thread and potentially providing a distorted view. It would be good to see the moderators intervening in some threds and putting forward the options in this way. Maybe allow them to go on for a few pages to get the options out and then putting a poll out there
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I replied with 'something else' meaning paper maps (aka maps) before the heading was changed :roll:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)