fed up with Garmin

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nez

fed up with Garmin

Post by nez »

Or specifically, Dakota. I have had a Dakota for a few years but it seems to have been left behind by the latest incarnations of Garmin Base Camp/connect et al. Yes of course it sort of works using the usb with a lot of keystrokes etc, but compared to using my android phone, it's a faff. It's not as if I'm a blinking athlete, 40 or 50 k does me fine - but I do like the little track and heart rate thing and I do like evidence I'm improving or not. Often not. But it's fun.

I don't use the Dakota for navigation - I carry a map if I need that. I can't use a screen as big as my thumb for finding my way. And on the other hand the android phone can do the whole job, map included - it will even will find my hrm over ANT. Of course we all know what is the problem with the phone - battery life. Also it would be a bit exposed waggling about on the front of the bike.

So what have people moved on to? And which database? Strava seems everywhere, but I only want the stuff for me, not to compete. Strava looks like it's for cyclists who are a bit... well, nez dans le guidon. Unlike me. The truth is I'm confounded by the choice. Essentially I am an IT-lazy so-and-so who'd like to check the numbers when I feel like it with as little trouble to me as possible. Suggestions gratefully received from people with more experience.
thidwick

Re: fed up with Garmin

Post by thidwick »

Lazy too. Son did research and advised a Garmin Edge Touring Plus, and uploads to Strava. All painlessly achieved. If I just ride, then the tracking and stats are done, and uploaded for sons to look at. It will do the navigation too. So far I really like it.
nez

Post by nez »

Do you have the screen lit much? My Dakota runs through batteries unless it's unlit. You have to dab it with your finger to see the screen.
nez

Breaking news - man answers own question

Post by nez »

What was really getting on my nerves with the Dakota was the way the software refused to speak to each other -- Garmin/Strava/Ride with GPS etc. I don't want to muck about with all that, I just want something downloaded after a ride. It was making me v suspicious of putting a couple of hundred sovs into a new Garmin Edge. The answer I discovered is a website called Tapiriik, which for a couple of quid a year will synch Garmin, dropbox, Ride with GPS or what have you. Brilliant.
jezer

Post by jezer »

I just use maps, but then I'm an old fart :lol:
Power to the pedals
nez

Post by nez »

Me too. Anyway I know where I'm going. It was how much huffing and puffing I was doing I wanted to know.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No requirement to compete on Strava, it does detect and notify on things like PBs on routes/segments.

The autosync and compare feature of the strava phone app is pretty useful in fact.

If you aren't navigating then I presume you are a screen off kind of cyclist, which will help significantly in terms of battery life. Additionally it doesn't need to be "bouncing around out front", it can be securely in a bar bag, tri bag, pannier, WHY*.

If you want an instant speed/time readout then there are various cheap cycle computers (and use separately logged data later)

* WHY - What Have You
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.