Reliability

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: Reliability

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

tim-b wrote:....
The biggest problem with buying a complete bike in my experience is the parts fitted that you wouldn't normally buy and their reliability while you wait for enough wear to replace them. Tyres are a good example of this...

Most quality bike shops would be more than happy to amend an off the peg spec' for a customer, especially as this normally involves upgrading budget items that have been fitted to hit a price point.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Its all very simple really if you just stop and think about it.

What do aircraft technicians do?...... What do pilots do? ............ They have a check-list!

I can readily understand peoples urge to build a bike up from bits they chose, its a bit like building a computer in the same way. But, you aren't building anything, all you are doing is assembling compatible parts. It not like actually designing something and creating it it just satisfies your creative urge. Personally, with bikes I have no urge to do it, although I have swapped triple chain sets for doubles, fitted mudguards, racks etc. All these expensive bits that people insist on are sometimes a fraction lighter, possibly work slightly better and last longer. On the new bikes I have purchased I have swapped tyres and pedals, nothing more. Having your spokes de stressed and wheels spun by a wheel-builder after a month or two is a good investment.

But, knowing Decathlons and Halfords reputations I have checked every single screw, bearing tightness and clearance before taking the machine purchased from them on the road.

Before I do a day ride I always check tyre pressures, brakes, water bottle and skewer tightness. I clean my bikes approximately every 4 weeks and clean chains and sprockets. Every 12 months hubs and pedals get some attention. If I am going on a tour I check everything as though it has just been delivered by Halfords.

Write a check list!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

tim-b wrote:....My most recent bike came in a box, the first that didn't come from a LBS, but had been pre-built by the supplier. I stripped it down and rebuilt it (because it came in a box?), and I needn't have bothered. It even had a blob of grease in the pedal threads waiting for the pedals to be fitted. It only needed the handlebars and stem twizzling around, saddle height and pedals...

yeah but grease isn't copper ease, and that is what you need in there really. Your could be a good one but most are not. I could list all the things that are often wrong with bikes as they come and it is a long list....

I know of conscientious bike shops where they check stuff and even though they might be a major customer for some bikes from some factories and speak to them directly with feedback re the build, they still know that they will get bikes that have not been built properly.

It'd drive me nuts.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Anyone else having a bad run at the moment? On top of broken forks, broken front mech, my first p*******e in ages now my Spa Nidd saddle nose metal piece has snapped!! Now my bikes have been good but at the moment I feel like the alignments of the planets is all wrong for me! Hopefully this will be all out of the way before next weeks tour!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fatboy wrote:Anyone else having a bad run at the moment? On top of broken forks, broken front mech, my first p*******e in ages now my Spa Nidd saddle nose metal piece has snapped!! Now my bikes have been good but at the moment I feel like the alignments of the planets is all wrong for me! Hopefully this will be all out of the way before next weeks tour!

Not counting the fairy's visit which can be described as an occupational hazard and so doesn't count,your 'three' is out of the way for a trouble free tour :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

reohn2 wrote:
fatboy wrote:Anyone else having a bad run at the moment? On top of broken forks, broken front mech, my first p*******e in ages now my Spa Nidd saddle nose metal piece has snapped!! Now my bikes have been good but at the moment I feel like the alignments of the planets is all wrong for me! Hopefully this will be all out of the way before next weeks tour!

Not counting the fairy's visit which can be described as an occupational hazard and so doesn't count,your 'three' is out of the way for a trouble free tour :D

Let's hope that you're right!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if nothing ever broke or went wrong it would probably be way too heavy, but yeah, you can have a bad run of it.

I went on a ride that was meant to be about 65 miles yesterday but it ended up being about 80 in the end, and I had to stop to fix four punctures. Three of them caused by a duff rim tape, as it happens.

I guess I have been using Michelin hard plastic rim tapes for over 35 years now. When Mavic launched their Module E2 rim the Michelin tape was pretty much the only game in town. I soon found that the blessed things would crack over the eyelets, and that this could give you endless punctures. To combat this I have routinely fitted these tapes with a couple of turns of insulation tape over them. The underlying rim tape still cracks but it needs to be very bad before you get a flat.

I'd ridden several thousand miles on these tyres without disturbing them, but they were tightly fitting folding ones; I don't like them when they are tight enough that they unseat themselves into the rim well when the tyre goes soft, as these have been prone to do. I'd recently noted a slow puncture in the rear, so I was sure to carry lots of patches, glue, and a spare tube. Part way through the ride the 'slow' puncture went 'fast' and I set to; I soon found a hole and short piece of steel wire, fixed it and was on my way again. Then it went down again. This time a hole on the inside of the tube. I looked at the rim tape but couldn't see anything too evil, just a little rucking of the insulation tape. Needless to say the same fault soon afflicted me again, then the next repair failed by the patch lifting; the tube is very stretched in the well of the rim, a narrow strip (about 8mm wide when the tube is soft) has to expand x2 to fill the rim over the rim tape, if the marks on my tubes are anything to go by. This extra stretching creates a peel load on an inside patch and they sometimes lift. I daresay the tube cuts more easily too.

I'd fitted these rim tapes about ten years ago and it turned out in the meantime the insulation tape had not only rucked, but also gone hard. The rucked edges were now sharp edges cutting into the tube. Disturbing the tyre a few times had caused enough fresh rucking to make trouble. I peeled the insulation tape off and sure enough the Michelin tape was cracked underneath; fortunately I had the scrag end of a roll of soft insulation tape in my toolbag, just enough to patch over the cracks (there were about 15 in total).

I repatched the failed repair, and this time I did something dead cunning; I not only left the backing on the patch (which inhibits stretching and therefore peeling perhaps) but I also fitted the tube with a slight twist in it, so that the patch was against the tyre sidewall instead of the rim well. To get this to work, I had to fit the tube 'rounded out' and then fit the cover without letting any air out of the tube, else the tube would have resumed its normal position. This was a struggle, but I did it. This repair held OK.

But.... what a palaver. Granted I did also swap the rear cover (looking a bit worn) for the front as well as fix the punctures, but I guess I was sat by the side of the road faffing about with tubes, tyres and rim tapes for over two hours yesterday. I'd ridden the same bike hundreds of miles in company a few weeks ago, with no trouble. It just shows you can't take anything for granted.

It was also the first time I'd used my trusty SIDIs after a few good soakings. I'd dried them out and they seemed OK to start with, but part way through the ride the sole on one of them came off! Not the best day, reliability-wise.... :roll:

hey ho...

cheers
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Brucey wrote:if nothing ever broke or went wrong it would probably be way too heavy, but yeah, you can have a bad run of it.

Maybe I'm too heavy :wink:

Sounds like you had a nightmare. Repeated punctures are a real pain. Me and some friends went for a 2 day tour along the Chilterns Cycleway and one guy had 10 punctures over the weekend!
mjr

Post by mjr »

fatboy wrote:Anyone else having a bad run at the moment?

Oh yeah. One bike is currently "ride once, fix twice". I even broke an axle nut on it this week :roll: and of course it's an obsolete size I had to mail order... and somehow I seem to have done something to move the cones while grabbing the wheel to mangle the axle nut off... and about the same time, I broke the gear cable and had to replace that... just as well it's a lovely bike to ride, else I would have given up on it by now.

I could throw more money at it, replacing the whole repeatedly-troublesome front wheel and so on, but part of the reason for that bike was it seems to have simple parts. Sadly "simple" seems to mean "obsolete" - or more accurately, "only readily available from the Netherlands or China" - but I am learning more about maintenance as I hoped, so I'm trying to resist replacing things except where parts are beyond all hope. Thanks Brucey and 531colin here especially for tips I couldn't find in books or on other websites.

The Streetfinder just keeps ticking along at the moment, which is just as well. I really should get a Local Bike Shop to service/check it but I've delayed that from spring to autumn in the hope they'll not be so busy getting bikes ready for summer-only riders... plus I was hoping to ride the troublesome bike more.

May all your bikes run smoothly soon!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am constantly failing depressingly...........that is true reality.

I once rescued an Electrostatic speaken in its enclosure from the sea :?
I dried it out rebuilt it and got it working again, just to see it worked, poor sound probably due to the paper cone being now changed beyond repair by water damage.

Nice to see, though I am a realist, that there are other humans here who have failures.
Those who never admit failures and profess they are better / superior at a task are living in cuckoo land.
The solution is to simply be prepared, the worst that can happen is I have to walk, and I always carry my credit card with me :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:The solution is to simply be prepared, the worst that can happen is I have to walk....

Normally walking is the last resort, but on Thursday I couldn't even do that very well because my shoes were falling to bits!

Ho hum....

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote:I can readily understand peoples urge to build a bike up from bits they chose, its a bit like building a computer in the same way. But, you aren't building anything, all you are doing is assembling compatible parts. It not like actually designing something and creating it it just satisfies your creative urge. Personally, with bikes I have no urge to do it, although I have swapped triple chain sets for doubles, fitted mudguards, racks etc.
I did this, but it became almost a Trigger's Broom situation. The only things left to change were the wheels and the frame!

It seemed the obvious way forward to me, to take all my goodies off and then buy a new frame and wheels. As I'd kept all the other bits, I rebuilt the original bike and sold it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

al_yrpal wrote:I can readily understand peoples urge to build a bike up from bits they chose, its a bit like building a computer in the same way. But, you aren't building anything, all you are doing is assembling compatible parts. It not like actually designing something and creating it it just satisfies your creative urge...

Well it might be 'just' that....a bit like building a house then...? But it can be a whole lot more than that.

If you go to a custom bike builder they will choose the frame geometry to fit you, choose the frame tubing to suit your needs, choose the components to suit your needs too.

When you go shopping for a frame and components, you can make all the same choices. If you don't have an unusual set of requirements or body shape, you can get an OTP frame that 'fits' and 'suits' in a way that is almost as good as one from a custom build by choosing carefully. The same goes for the other components.

Of course you don't have to put as much thought, time, and effort into it as that, but to describe the process as 'not building anything' is to denigrate the skill and effort that can and often does go into it.

Turn the thing on its head, and ask yourself what would you have to do to 'really be building something' and I reckon you will tie yourself into knots; arguably at any level you will 'just be assembling compatible components' right down to nuclear synthesis of every atom in your bike.....? :wink:

cheers
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I somehow missed Al's post but Brucey's answered it for me.
The building process is satisfying,but after choosing a frameset(custom or OTP) choosing the components to suit my needs is infinitely better than buying a stock bike.
Choosing individual cassette ratios to suit my particular want's and needs is even more satisfying still.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I not only left the backing on the patch (which inhibits stretching and therefore peeling perhaps)
I always leave the backing on because a) I'm lazy and b) if you've spread the glue beyond the patch (hard to avoid if you want to glue the whole patch) it helps prevent the tube from sticking to the tire.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West