Shimano RSX crankset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Clarky145

Shimano RSX crankset

Post by Clarky145 »

Does anyone know where I can get a 175mm double Shimano RSX crankset. I am fortunate enough to have been given a mid 90's Massi with a 58 frame but 170mm crankset. I run 175mm crankset and have been advised to try and source a 175mm if I am to ward off any aches/pains/long term discomfort. I've tried Ebay. I can take the crank arms with/without chainrings but would rather the set was in good condition. It is an 8 speed group set and from memory (it's pouring with rain and I'm not going down the shed now) it is a five arm spider. Regards
gaz

Re: Shimano RSX crankset

Post by gaz »

IIRC RSX was a 110BCD chainset, the triple version also had a 74BCD inner ring and for all I know the double has the fittings for this.

If you are simply looking for a compatible 175mm chainset then the Spa XD2 fits the bill, although I can't be sure the BB length is the same so that may need replacement too.

If you want RSX then it's scouring eBay, cycle jumbles, a wanted ad on here or inventing a time machine.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

good luck finding some 175s!
Personally I ride 170s/172.5s and 175s on differing bikes and far from me to say that your bike shop knows nowt about crank length but even the venerable Sheldon Brown says shorter crank lengths have no effect whatsoever on knees... http://sheldonbrown.com/cranks.html
I think the crank length thing is really not that important unless you're going to be riding competition level, ensuring the leg extension angle is correct is far more important to your knees because it is only the amount of leverage/rpm that is under consideration with shorter cranks. Cranks that are too long might well effect your knees, but shorter cranks..no, that's not correct.

I'd say ride the bike and see how you feel before worrying about sourcing obsolete/impossible to find cranks. Worst case just buy another period correct double, there's some nice 8 speed era Dura Ace cranks in 175mm on ebay at the moment for about £30
beardy

Post by beardy »

RSX did come in the 130 BCD variety.

The RSX A417 triple 130/74 BCD 1999-2000
30-42-52. 45mm chainline with a 118mm BB.

Other varieties may have been made too.

I have one but it is still in use and 170mm cranks.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

There were 2 versions of RSX - a blue lettered one and a black lettered one. The black was only available for a year as previous post said & was 8 speed. I think the blue lettered one was really a 7 speed system. My Dawes 1-Down came with a mxture of parts from both series - rear/front deraileur and sti from the Black series and the chainset from the blue series - which was a 46,36,26, Finding any of the black series is almost impossible, as I really would like a spare front derailleur & I have been looking a long time & I have seen few if any black series parts. forget them! I have occasionally seen the blue chainsets*( triple) but not sure if they ever came in various crank lengths -it was at the time a bottom level system ( though rather nice). I do have a new spare blue chainset but I am holding onto that, anyway is 170 mm. So I would advice you to get an alternative system, you dont really have much choice anyway.

vintage chainset  part numbers click for bigger copy
vintage chainset part numbers click for bigger copy
Clarky145

Post by Clarky145 »

Thanks guys for all your help and info. On the basis of my initial inquiry and the advise you've all posted I think I'll stick with the 170mm crankset and see how it goes - I have since discovered that I have in the past ridden a 170mm crankset on a single speed without any ill effects whatsoever! Thanks again!!