Cavity Wax Spray Lidl

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fastpedaller

Cavity Wax Spray Lidl

Post by fastpedaller »

Bought from Lidl a couple of weeks ago (sorry been on holiday so unable to message) - Cavity wax aerosol with regular or tubed nozzle £4.99.
Don't know how effective compared with other products (only a controlled test would tell), but works as you would expect. My suspicion is that any mineral oil dripped in frame could be just as effective as any of these substances, but 'piece of mind' has a price :)
Bonefishblues

Re: Cavity Wax Spray Lidl

Post by Bonefishblues »

http://www.rust.co.uk/rust-proofing-cav ... s/c28115/#

I've used their mil spec "own brand" to treat an MX5. Now that's rustproofing!

I've seen Waxoyl mentioned a few times in threads but I think that's rather old tech compared to Dinitrol et al.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

old-tech? Maybe; still works pretty well though.

Some comparison tests;

introduction and overview

http://www.vdubxs.com/anti-rust-treatments-external-coatings-and-cavity-waxes-real-world-scenario-testingcomparisons/#sthash.Krpcl4vy.dpbs

full results;

http://www.vdubxs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/rusttest_noxudol_700_classic_monthly_uk.pdf

Waxoyl came second in these tests, behind a product that is easier to apply, but nearly twice as expensive. They didn't test Dinitrol though, unless it is actually the same as one of the other products.

These wax based products are no good if they don't penetrate, no good if they peel off or dry out completely, and no good if they don't have chemical rust inhibitors in their make-up. The last of these is the hidden ingredient that keeps the stuff working and my understanding is that waxoyl has some pretty fancy chemistry going on in there; at one time they advertised it as actually 'reversing corrosion' (which in fact it might do chemically speaking) but obviously they had to stop saying that, I think when people were disappointed that their heap of rust didn't magically reconstruct itself into a working car.... :roll:

With any of these products uniform thin layer coverage can be greatly improved if you can turn the wax fluid by warming the parts when you apply the wax. Waxoyl softens at around 45 to 50C and when it is fresh (which includes a fair amount of white spirit) it is as thin as water and covers everything and penetrates very well. Hair dryer heat is enough for this, and this is probably enough for most other wax treatments too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

On a non-scientific basis a properly prepared MX5 (as in rust treated and then sprayed with Mil Spec in a warmish environment) was rust free externally (I can't speak for the inner sills as I didn't have an endoscope to hand) after 2 Winters, including several weeks with the 5 scraping its belly on deep snow, slush et al (Winter tyres are wonderful things :wink: ) which I thought was rather good. Not only that, but the original coatings were still intact, including on the longitudinal weld seams, which are very prominent on a 5's underside.

The big advantage of these types of product IME is that they dry to a non-tack finish so they don't accumulate crap, and in comparison to the older-style products are also massively easier and less messy to apply. If they can keep an MX5 which has a well-deserved reputation for rusting, free of rust, I think that the environment inside a bike frame would be a breeze in comparison.

ETA
...not a million miles away from the Tests you posted really, but as I say, my only comparator was a car that had previously attempted to crumble in front of our eyes!