Gaadi 'snake' inner tubes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
HaroldBriercliffe

Gaadi 'snake' inner tubes

Post by HaroldBriercliffe »

Anyone used one of these snake inner tubes?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GAADI-Schrader- ... i+schrader

Are they any good?
" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen)
sreten

Re: Gaadi 'snake' inner tubes

Post by sreten »

Hi,

If your rear wheel is really awkward to remove they make sense as the spare you carry,
(for front or back), and you have to use one in the rear to be then of any real use.

rgds, sreten.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

they are one of these ideas that is great in principle, but often somewhat lacking in practice. Some versions of this design have been known to fail at the ends, so they are certainly not all created equal.

Like Sreten says, unless you are going to cut out the old tube when it punctures, you need at least two; one in the rear wheel and one as a spare.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

As Brucey and Sreten say,or use M+ tyres,which other than for short commuting/town bike rides are a ridiculous ride,alternatively manufacturers could pull there fingers out and make a quick release system for their IGH hubs and chaincases.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

M+ tyres,which other than for short commuting/town bike rides are a ridiculous ride

I beg to differ. I use them for most of my longer riding (26x1.5) and find them fine. OK, a bit slower* than some others but comfortable, reliable and grippy.

*being on a heavily loaded expedition bike this makes little difference.
HaroldBriercliffe

Thanks for the replies.
Mine's an electric bike so it's a major job taking a wheel off.
The downside does seem to be having to cut through the punctured tube to fit the snake tube but as an alternative to pushing the bike home ( it's heavy) I'll maybe invest in one for emergencies.
(Dogen)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:
M+ tyres,which other than for short commuting/town bike rides are a ridiculous ride

I beg to differ. I use them for most of my longer riding (26x1.5) and find them fine. OK, a bit slower* than some others but comfortable, reliable and grippy.

*being on a heavily loaded expedition bike this makes little difference.

Rather you than me ,is all I can say.But whatever strums yer strings :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
sreten

Post by sreten »

HaroldBriercliffe wrote:Thanks for the replies.
Mine's an electric bike so it's a major job taking a wheel off.
The downside does seem to be having to cut through the punctured tube to fit the snake tube but
as an alternative to pushing the bike home ( it's heavy) I'll maybe invest in one for emergencies.

Hi,

On an electric bike you could just have one for emergencies
and be prepared to total the fitted innertubes, given with
electric assistance you can fit some very puncture proof
tyres, and expect to hardly ever puncture.

rgds, sreten.
Last edited by sreten on 24 Aug 2014, 11:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
beardy

Post by beardy »

You dont have to destroy the punctured inner tube.

You can secure it out of the way while still trapped by the seat/chainstays and then repair the puncture with it still attached to the bike in the comfort of your own home later on. Reinstate it and put your emergency inner tube back in the repair kit.

In theory you could have a spare inner tube on the stays waiting for your puncture to happen but it would probably be too vulnerable there and acquire punctures before you even fit it.

Out of interest SJS cycles are selling some of these type tubes for 50p in their clearance section if anybody fancies trying them and it is the right size and you were buying something else there anyway.
sreten

Post by sreten »

beardy wrote:You dont have to destroy the punctured inner tube.

Hi, Your right, if you carry a few tie wraps you can secure it out of the way, rgds, sreten.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just tie round the stays - I've never has to use mine, I carry them as spares though
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
HaroldBriercliffe

beardy wrote:You dont have to destroy the punctured inner tube.

You can secure it out of the way while still trapped by the seat/chainstays and then repair the puncture with it still attached to the bike in the comfort of your own home later on. Reinstate it and put your emergency inner tube back in the repair kit.

In theory you could have a spare inner tube on the stays waiting for your puncture to happen but it would probably be too vulnerable there and acquire punctures before you even fit it.

Out of interest SJS cycles are selling some of these type tubes for 50p in their clearance section if anybody fancies trying them and it is the right size and you were buying something else there anyway.

Well spotted sir.
Well worth a punt at just ten bob apiece and very reasonable postage.
I've ordered a few.
Thanks for the heads up.

:)
(Dogen)