Integrated headset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cybicle

Integrated headset

Post by cybicle »

I know I must be missing something simple here......

I have a Claud Butler integrated headset and need to fit a new headset. Fork is out but the thing is, while I was expecting the bearing cartridge to simply pry out with little effort it seems sort of 'fixed' in. Its revolving 360 like a bearing cartridge should so I'm assuming its not seized in, and I obviously don't want to go chopping around with a hammer and chisel.

Maybe I'm just being coy and lacking confidence as I don't want to do any damage to the residual frame. Should I use something like a rocket tool to 'bash' them out (oh by the way, both top and bottom seem the same so I'm again assuming there's some retaining mechanism in place?)

As always, thanks in advance and anticipation for the usual technical help and tips

cheers
Brucey

Re: Integrated headset

Post by Brucey »

it might help if you can say (or show) exactly what type of headset you have; there are lots of subtle variations. You could, for example, have an 'internal' headset rather than an integrated one.

There is a fair amount of explanation and some useful diagrams here;

http://chrisking.com/files/pdfs/Int20HeadsetsExplained.pdf

and here;

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/headset-standards

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

When you remove the fork from a frame with an integrated headset you should be able to remove both the upper and the lower cartridge bearings with your hand. Removal should not require any effort, in fact the bottom cartridge typically drops out. Which means ... you ain't got an integrated headset. Note that there also exist 'semi-integrated' headsets.
I should coco.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

If you (and it) are still stuck, give it a good wipe round, see if there is a cir clip holding things in. I have a recollection of dismantling an integrated (or semi ditto?) headset ages ago, and the lower bearings were held in place by a cir clip. Can't remember make, model etc I'm afraid, and not seen it very often.
Looking at the Park tool link, if only my bikes (and hands) were that clean!