Brakes not releasing?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NBlackbourn

Brakes not releasing?

Post by NBlackbourn »

I'll start by mentioning I'm very new to modifying and repairing bikes so I may say things which seem stupid to the more experienced on the forum, but just ask me to explain, I'm aware.

I've got a 17 inch Marin Muirwoods frame. I fancied trying out drop handlebars, so I bought some and the vertical brakes to fit. After fitting cables and going to a test cycle I find the brakes firstly do not bite hard enough to stop the bike, neither to the fully release when I loose the brakes. The cable does not fully pull back through tight, just hangs loosely through the hole the end fits into in the brake lever.

I have a set of V brakes, all set to the highest tension (those sets of 3 holes on the frame). I have experimented with tightening and loosening the screw that affects the caliper springs. The cables are perfectly taut. With the arms so far from the rims I believe the levers aren't pulling the pads tight enough then the arms are not pulling the cable far enough back through, leaving me with no brake and no release.

I suspect the springs in the calipers are very old and could be weak, could this be the root of the problem? The levers themselves have no springs but I understand the pull from the brake arms should be enough? Perhaps it's just a matter of me experimenting with different balances of tension until I find one to work?

Any help will be hugely appreciated.
Brucey

Re: Brakes not releasing?

Post by Brucey »

in addition I suspect that either the spring force is not enough to pull the lever back or the lever/cable is draggy in some way and won't pull back.

If you are not super-careful with the cable preparation and lubrication, you can easily end up with slightly draggy cables.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NBlackbourn

Re: Brakes not releasing?

Post by NBlackbourn »

Nice, thanks very much! Will set about sorting it.