changing gear cables

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AaronR

changing gear cables

Post by AaronR »

Not an off spin of Mick F's thread, more a cry for help!

I've got a stem riser on order for the bike I'm currently fitting out for touring, but putting it on will mean changing the brake cables inner and outer (which I can do myself) and the gear cables too, along with the re/adjustment of both derailleurs (which I have no hope of accomplishing without much swearing and cursing)

If only Specialized hadn't been so sparing with cable when they made the bike back in '98!

Is there anyone local to Southampton who could spare the time to talk me through or teach me how to change the gear cables and re/adjust the derailleurs? I've got cable and sleeve cutters and a fairly comprehensive toolkit, stem riser and new cables are on order

Yes, I could pay my local cycle repair guy to do it, but I won't learn anything from that, and you can guarantee the next time I need to change a gear cable it will be in the middle of nowhere :?

Ta!
barrym

Re: changing gear cables

Post by barrym »

Changing the cables is just the same as the brake. Adjusting the derailleur I found quite easy after watching a couple of the videos on YouTube. Check them out and see what you think.

Barry
--
Cheers
Barry
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

i agree with barrym but maybe you could ask your repair guy if you could sit in and watch.
on my first wheel build i asked a local bike shop if i could use his trueing stand and get some tips from the guy as i did it which he did and he only charged me a tenner for it.
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

Thanks both - first consideration had been to ask my local repair guy (as to date he has been very amenable) but seems a bit cheeky, although to be fair the bike will still be going to him for an overhaul before my JOGLE trip

I'd looked through YouTube for clips on changing cables and there were a few, even a few specific to my bikes shifters and derailleurs, but all of them involved a bit of guesswork, and as I rely on the bike for daily transport the last thing I need is a bike in pieces :?