NewYork Fahgeddaboudit

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nez

NewYork Fahgeddaboudit

Post by nez »

I bought one of these after I saw a picture on the Brompton list of a folding lock clipped with cutters at the hinge. It's a meaty beast weighing 2 kilos, but I was a bit disappointed the guarantee/insurance is only good for 1 year. It seems a bit mean.

By the way I don't lock up my Brompton. I carry it or keep it in the house when I'm not riding it.. The lock was for a big wheel bike.
TonyR

Re: NewYork Fahgeddaboudit

Post by TonyR »

nez dans le guidon wrote:By the way I don't lock up my Brompton. I carry it or keep it in the house when I'm not riding it.. The lock was for a big wheel bike.

Best not to even carry a lock with the Brompton. I have prevailed a few times when challenged by jobsworth security with "You can't bring that in here, you'll have to lock it up outside" by responding "Sorry, I don't have a lock. Could you phone [person I'm meeting] and tell them I won't be able to make the meeting and why?"
nez

Post by nez »

Yes I've done that. But nice establishments (eg Simpsons in the Strand) will just take it into the cloakroom.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

nez dans le guidon wrote:Yes I've done that. But nice establishments (eg Simpsons in the Strand) will just take it into the cloakroom.

I too have rarely had a problem but on the odd occasions I have, not having a lock has helped.

My best was arriving at a top London hotel with Rolls & Ferraris parked outside to have the doorman approach me as I dismounted with a "May I take that for you Sir?" Followed by him folding it and taking it off.