'Sealed Bearing' Hubs?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: 'Sealed Bearing' Hubs?

Post by Brucey »

IIRC LF zenith hubs for double-fixed or fixed free have a shouldered axle. The locknuts look as if you should be able to adjust the bearing preload, but actually you can't. Provided the bearings are mounted in the hub correctly, the locknuts can be tightened fully so that the bearings are trapped correctly.

Without the inner locknuts tight not only can the bearings spin on the axle but also the axle itself can see higher bending stresses; I have seen these axles break, possibly because of this.

[BTW you can tell if the axle has shoulders because if you loosen the locknuts both sides, the inner part of the bearing may turn on the axle, but the axle won't slide out.]

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gaz

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Are you sure you couldn't find a comprehensive guide? :shock:
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

deliquium wrote:Well I went ahead and bought a pair mail order from (thank you StellaLdn.) JD Whisker* - a throw back in time pre internet experience. You ring up and ask if they have what you want, a chap puts the phone down, you hear footsteps, a creaky door open and shut followed by very pleasant silence (enough for several gulps of tea and bites of biscuit) until a door opens, a creak and more footsteps, to be told that yes a pair of Zenith Large Flange hubs 32 hole in silver, 126mm OLD rear are available at a reasonable price. :

Those are just sound effects. They play that tape recorder every time.

deliquium wrote:* In years gone by, I loved Whiskers tiny pamphlet stock list of every Campag nut and bolt, to say the least :roll:

Me too.

From my experience with cartridge bearings in hubs ... there often isn't a system of pre-loading. You knock them into place, and that's it. You knock 'em in or out a little bit more for 'adjustment' if your first attempt was not right.
I should coco.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

deliquium wrote:.........
531colin wrote:How close is the left flange to the dropout? (too close = too dished)

I can now answer this - 24mm...............

You may need to consider ways of stopping the NDS spokes coming loose.....threadlock on the nipples, etc. I suspect they will end up rather slack.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I run Hope MTB hubs with bearings like that. (2RS bearings). They seem to last about 5 years of off-road usage, which is fine for me. Replacements were about £4 a pair from my local bearing factor for decent SKF units. Cheap Chinese bearings are about a pound.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Excellent resource, thanks for the link gaz. Digested over Marmite and toast breakfast this morning :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

531colin wrote:
deliquium wrote:.........
531colin wrote:How close is the left flange to the dropout? (too close = too dished)

I can now answer this - 24mm...............

You may need to consider ways of stopping the NDS spokes coming loose.....threadlock on the nipples, etc. I suspect they will end up rather slack.

Just built up the rear wheel using the 32 hole Zenith screw on freewheel hub, Halo Whiteline 700c rim with Sapim Strong on the DS and Sapim Race on the NDS. Average tensions are around 145Kfg and 80Kfg respectively (according to the Park Tools tensionometer and chart)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
531colin

Post by 531colin »

145/80 Kgf is an interesting set of numbers, I'm used to building 120/80 with conventionally-designed hubs.
There are plenty of rims that will pretzel before you get to 145Kgf.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

531colin wrote:145/80 Kgf is an interesting set of numbers, I'm used to building 120/80 with conventionally-designed hubs.
There are plenty of rims that will pretzel before you get to 145Kgf.

I too was surprised compared with every other wheel I've built. But reading off the Park chart and using the 2mm column for the 'Strong' spokes and the 1.8mm column for the 'Race' spokes, these were the figures it gave. Perhaps my Park tensionometer needs recalibrating? Or allowances made?
Current pedalable joys

531colin

Post by 531colin »

The large difference in tension left to right means the wheel is very dished, which means the left flange is too close to the left dropout, as I originally suspected.
I have seen the odd tension gauge that "reads high" .....if you get numbers like 145Kgf from your gauge on commercial (machine-built) wheels then I would suspect yours is reading high.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

531colin wrote:The large difference in tension left to right means the wheel is very dished, which means the left flange is too close to the left dropout, as I originally suspected.
I have seen the odd tension gauge that "reads high" .....if you get numbers like 145Kgf from your gauge on commercial (machine-built) wheels then I would suspect yours is reading high.

I've never had a reading that high previously. Not used Sapim Strongs before but have built a lot of wheels with Sapim PG and DT Swiss 'Champion' PG on the DS. So yes, one assumes it must be the dish requiring such differences side to side.

Alas there isn't a machine built wheel in the house :wink:

Next time I'm over at the workshop, I'll take my meter and compare with the same there and some machine built wheels - although most machine built wheels I've come across are woefully slack :roll:
Current pedalable joys

georgew

Post by georgew »

Valbrona wrote:
deliquium wrote:Well I went ahead and bought a pair mail order from (thank you StellaLdn.) JD Whisker* - a throw back in time pre internet experience. You ring up and ask if they have what you want, a chap puts the phone down, you hear footsteps, a creaky door open and shut followed by very pleasant silence (enough for several gulps of tea and bites of biscuit) until a door opens, a creak and more footsteps, to be told that yes a pair of Zenith Large Flange hubs 32 hole in silver, 126mm OLD rear are available at a reasonable price. :

Those are just sound effects. They play that tape recorder every time.

deliquium wrote:* In years gone by, I loved Whiskers tiny pamphlet stock list of every Campag nut and bolt, to say the least :roll:

Me too.

From my experience with cartridge bearings in hubs ... there often isn't a system of pre-loading. You knock them into place, and that's it. You knock 'em in or out a little bit more for 'adjustment' if your first attempt was not right.

I loved dealing with them. They had a huge stock of Campag parts dating way back.