Your thoughts on this bike set up

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
clwdk

Your thoughts on this bike set up

Post by clwdk »

Hey everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post this, excuse me if it isn't.

I'm considering buying this bike and was wondering what your thoughts are on it. The specs are as follows:

Cinelli 55cm
gear shifters- campagnolo chorus 9 gears
derailleurs- campagnolo record 9 gears
cassette- campagnolo 9 gears
brakes- campagnolo avanti
fork- pinarello
wheels- mavic CXP 14
brake/ gear wires and tubes- campagnolo

It looks in pretty good condition. You can see some photos here: http://www.dba.dk/herreracer-cinelli-55-cm/id-1009417816/billeder/1/

Thanks for your time and help
Brucey

Re: Your thoughts on this bike set up

Post by Brucey »

it looks like a bitsa to me.

Cinelli and Columbus stickers do not say anything about the frame's true origins.

Heaven knows what that frame is but I don't think it is a Cinelli and I don't think it is Columbus Brain tubing. IIRC there were two Downtubes in Brain, one 28.6mm and the other OS 31.7mm as per this spec;

Yours is neither. I suppose it is possible that there was a later version with a downtube like that but I don't remember it. I don't think the frame is a Pinarello either. In any case if the fork offset doesn't match the head angle correctly you could have some weird steering there.

It has some utterly horrid parts attached to it in places (the saddle and stem... what were they thinking...?) but these are easily changed. As a collection of Campag parts hung on to a steel frame it is worth something provided the frame isn't gas pipe and the parts are not worn out. But don't go paying 'Cinelli Money' for it without some proof that it is what it is claimed to be.

BTW that down tube will make the frame ridiculously stiff; if you want a classic steel frame with a subtle ride quality, apart from the fork perhaps, I can guarantee that this isn't it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clwdk

Post by clwdk »

Thanks Brucey, I'm completely new to this so any info is greatly appreciated.

What are your thoughts on this one instead? http://www.dba.dk/herreracer-andet-maerke/id-1009533845/billeder/1/
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

The 'guts' of the bike, like frame and drivetrain, seem okay, but you might want to swap out the saddle and handlebars.

Note that it has an old style threaded steerer column on the fork meaning you are stuck with one of those old fashioned handlebar stems.

But whatever the bike you gotta get one the right size for you.

***These comments made in respect of the first bike***
I should coco.
clwdk

Post by clwdk »

I actually kind of like the old style handlebars so I don't think this would be a problem.

Both of the bikes I mentioned here should fit me fine as well.

Is there another bike you might recommend. I'm not using it for racing, more for general use and long rides and I like the vintage look.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the Peugeot is a basic road bike with an RSX group from the late 1990s. I don't know what tubing that frame is in; IIRC they did bikes that looked similar but with light frames and better parts. This one could have a nice frame or it could be gas pipe; worth finding out.

A Richard Virenque replica should come with its own supply of EPO shouldn't it? :wink:

BTW the propstand fitted could have damaged the frame (esp if it is built in lightweight tubing) so beware of that.

cheers
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I may be wrong as the pic isn't brilliant but I would say that it isn't Brain tubing. I have a bike that most definitely has Brain OS and the down tube in the pic most definitely isn't like that. It's should be round and a slightly bigger diameter. You have to look twice to spot the 3mm ish difference.
Is it even steel? Funny shaped down tube for steel if its isn't round.
it may be legit but my money is on it not matching those frame stickers. Why the Record bits matched with Avanti brakes? Avanti was as low spec as Campag went, by a long way. I would spend little or no more than the damn sure value of the bits on ebay.
Finally, whilst not disputing the expertise here, you may get even more info from retrobike.com
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

Just in case someone thinks you're stuck with having to use a quill stem on a older frame with a threaded fork, SJS sells adaptors. I fitted one to my 1982 Holdsworth and it's been no bother, rode a C2C on it. With an adaptor you can easily change to a different stem length if your position on the bike needs altering.
Here's one they have-
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/profile-desi ... prod20442/
clwdk

Post by clwdk »

Thank you all for you advice and info. You have sufficiently scared me away from the first one I mentioned :)

I have one last bike I have been looking at which is this one: http://www.dba.dk/herreracer-lemond-57-cm/id-1009445337/billeder/1/

It seems to be in fantastic condition although as for the tech specs I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if it's any good.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

that is probably the best bike of the three IMHO. Again much hinges on the frame tubing but IIRC Lemond frames were never built in gas pipe materials. Campag Avanti gruppo is basic and 8s campag cassettes are not so easy to find these days but it isn't a bad bike. Budget for new pedals too I expect, unless you like those (Time?) ones.

cheers
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

That last bike is a much larger frame than the first one.
You can usually tell by the gap between top & down tubes on the headtube.

I don't know if it's an illusion but does the frame slope forwards on the middle one..
Comparing (on screen) the wheel diameters seem that the front is a smaller wheel. :?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
clwdk

Post by clwdk »

Thanks for your help everyone. I ended up buying a Bianchi model from 2010.