Best way to fix a puncture - top tips please...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Best way to fix a puncture - top tips please...

Post by Mick F »

From a previous thread on fixing punctures ........

Mick F wrote:I just ordered 3x8 F0 (16mm) patches and 2x 4g tubes of gluey stuff from CRC.
£12.95 with free P+P
I'll find a suitable tin or box, and I'm fixed for life.
24 patches and enough adhesive for them all costs £13ish.
Excellent quality stuff too, not your usual cheapo puncture outfit.

One of my tubes costs £4.
Even I can do the arithmetic for that. :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
IanW

Post by IanW »

Has anyone tried making their own patches by cutting out suitable shaped pieces out an old no-longer repairable inner tube?

Maybe by "priming" them with some rubber solution / glue and they sticking them down to a piece of polythene or a piece of aluminium foil and stored thus until point of use?

Also has anyone tried making (and using) their own tyre boot from an old worn-out tyre carcase by cutting off the wire beads and then cutting a suitable length segment?

I have to admit that I have never actually tried this, so I wondered if anyone else had? And if so was it a success?
rjb

Post by rjb »

IanW wrote:Has anyone tried making their own patches by cutting out suitable shaped pieces out an old no-longer repairable inner tube?

Maybe by "priming" them with some rubber solution / glue and they sticking them down to a piece of polythene or a piece of aluminium foil and stored thus until point of use?

Also has anyone tried making (and using) their own tyre boot from an old worn-out tyre carcase by cutting off the wire beads and then cutting a suitable length segment?

I have to admit that I have never actually tried this, so I wondered if anyone else had? And if so was it a success?

I tried using an old inner tube - cutting suitable sized patch, sanding down and prepping with rubber solution then using them to repair a puncture by prepping the inner tube in the usual way. Success varied but overall the repair eventually failed - some after a couple of months but some went for 12 months.

I have also tried making a tyre boot from a worn out tyre but there are easier ways - a piece of denim cut from the leg of a worn out pair of jeans is very effective and if they are worn at the knee then you can also salvage a pair of shorts from them :wink:

And on the tandem which was particularly heavy on rear tyre wear and side wall failure i have resorted to using a smaller diameter tyre inside the outer tyre. It does mean you can wear the outer down to the canvas and they are more resistant of punctures but the downside is they are not easy to get on and off. :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
dickew

Post by dickew »

Having appeared in work with filthy fingernails after punctures I started carrying disposable rubber gloves. Serendipitously, one of these wrapped round the tube makes an excellent get you home tyre boot when needed.
PH

Post by PH »

The cheap Wilko puncture repair kit (£1 last time I bought some) is the same as the Weldtite one that sells in my LBS for three times the price. It's the only kit I've used for years and I can't imagine how any would be better.
Si

Post by Si »

The last wilko one that I bought had no glue in the tube :cry: the previous ones had been OK though.
Si

Post by Si »

IME it does no harm to leave the thin plastic backing in place.

Glad I'm not the only one. Saves chalking it too.

Of course you've all missed the proper way to fix a p*nct*re easily.....as soon as you notice it call the ride to a halt, inform the ride leader and refuse to move until he/she has fixed it for you as part of their ride leader duties.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
he/she has fixed it for you as part of their ride leader duties

and don't forget to inform them that the tyre logo should line up with the valve :D
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Valbrona wrote:Fixing punctures is a pointless waste of 10 minutes of your life. It is mostly done by older people that have plenty of money but who nevertheless begrudge throwing away a punctured inner tube.

As Sandy Toskvig once said "young people are poor and stupid".

In any case it takes a couple of minutes or so in total. The tube is already out if you've replaced it with a spare. It takes but a minute or so to rough the tube and put the solution on. You go and do something else while the solution cures then take a few seconds to stick the patch onto the tube which becomes your spare.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker