TDC Headset 1950s Replacement Options?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
deliquium

TDC Headset 1950s Replacement Options?

Post by deliquium »

I have just become the next custodian of a Leach Marathon frame and forks, passed on from a forum member. Not sure about the age yet. The paint has to be original? I can't imagine anyone would go to the bother of such extreme box lining. The Reynolds 531 sticker is according to H Lloyd, one thought to be used between 1948 and 1953. But someone has suggested Leach Marathon frames had metal headbadges post war.

It has a TDC headset. But as the photo below shows (click on it for a larger version), the top and bottom head races are housed in headtube 'swages'. These are merely push fit - actually more of a drop in fit. Not the usual press fit needing tools.

It takes 30 x 1/8" balls per race.

There are some signs of wear on the bottom races - very minor dents on the bottom head race and hardly any on the crown race. This doesn't result in any significant notchiness. However, it's not silky smooth either. I'm sure? it will be fine in real life when all built up and ridden.

Does anyone know if anything like it exists if and when it gets knackered?
Attachments
2708 HeadtubeC.jpg
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Smut Pedaller

Re: TDC Headset 1950s Replacement Options?

Post by Smut Pedaller »

This looks really similar to my old Royal mail bike's headset. Mine has already got damaged races from age, but it's still somewhat smooth.
http://smutpedaller.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/the-postmaster-part-2-disassembly.html
smutpedaller.blogspot.com
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Smut Pedaller wrote:This looks really similar to my old Royal mail bike's headset. Mine has already got damaged races from age, but it's still somewhat smooth.
http://smutpedaller.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/the-postmaster-part-2-disassembly.html

Excellent photos.

Yes mine's the same arrangement. It's been suggested that I swap the slightly warn bottom head tube race with the unworn top race. Am awaiting delivery of Grade 10 1/8" ball bearings from SJS (cheaper than Grade 25 :roll: and cheaper than simplybearings.co.uk), so will swap the top and bottom headtube races over, grease up and assemble. Don't know whether the races actually rotate at all in their loose housing?

Could I suppose remove fork crown race and rotate a quarter turn - but I don't think there's going to be too much of an indexing problem, given the minor indentations to the head tube race. We shall see.

Thanks to the link of your interesting looking blog :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Smut Pedaller

Post by Smut Pedaller »

Hey, yes I've actually seen this design on a lot of the old Royal Mail bikes, even the ones produced up until the 80's/90's as I think they settled on a stock design from the 1950's or something and never changed it. From what others have said about it on this forum, this design is quite flawed. I'm guessing the races probably move around a little bit in the cups, but I'm guessing it may be there to make up for any angular misalignment??? Not sure...

The races on mine are pretty shot, and there is a slight roughness now. I have seen some other similar Royal Mail bikes with the same headset design with conventional external cups pressed into the headtube, I'm not sure if they fit without modification or not but I will probably have a look at some point.
smutpedaller.blogspot.com