1" threaded forks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: 1" threaded forks

Post by Brucey »

that breakage looks very nasty. I have no firm conclusion about the holes (although there may have been one for pinning and another for venting before it as brazed, and the brake bolt hole would have been added afterwards) but it looks to me that the joint was never brazed correctly in the first place.

It may be of interest to say if there is/was any visible gap between the steerer and the crown once the crown race is removed. I'm sure others with similar bikes will be keen to know if they could spot a similar issue in this way.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

There is definitely a gap now but whether there was anything tell tail I can't say. I wonder if the fork judder and springiness that they bike has always had were a sign that it was never right. Given that I have hit 50 on it this terrifies me when I think about it.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi

fatboy said
...fitting a crown race to a fork...

If I'm reading your post correctly, your LBS should have a cutter to size and seat the fork crown to suit the headset, saves giving a shiny new fork "some welly" :)

Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

tim-b wrote:Hi

fatboy said
...fitting a crown race to a fork...

If I'm reading your post correctly, your LBS should have a cutter to size and seat the fork crown to suit the headset, saves giving a shiny new fork "some welly" :)

Regards
tim-b

But my VLBS (very local bike shop aka my garage) does jot have such a tool! And the tool for seating the headset is borrowed off a chap from work for the price of a bottle of beer.

Last night I decided to look at the documentation that came with the bike to discover that it's got a 15 year frame and fork guarantee. So I will be raising this matter with Dawes (sent them an email to ask how I go about claiming on this).
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Forks on their way back to Dawes. Let's see what they can offer. Wonder if they've got stock of 1" forks and if they don't what they will do. The LBS handling the return were very complementary about Dawes and their warranty claims so I'm hopeful about the outcome.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Just thought that I'd sing the praises of Dawes who have repaired my forks and painted them beautifully. I asked for black by the way!
Attachments
Repaired forks
Repaired forks
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

That's great. My 1992 Horizon and 2001 Audax both have lifetime guaratees but 15 years is pretty good too. I've always wondered what would happen if I had to return a 1" threaded fork. Since they no longer make frames here I wonder what they did? Probably contracted the repair out.

Actually the Horizon had the steerer incorrectly brazed so that the keyway located the hanger slightly off centre. In the end I just removed the little pip from the hanger. Perhaps I should have sent the fork back!
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

The new steerer lacks the groove so sending back wouldn't help that. Have to say that the service has been amazing. I want to send the guy a thank you email but his email is et such that if you send an e-mail when the office is closed it get blocked. I would quite like to know where it was painted coz my frame needs a respray!
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

Just being nosey but how do you think they repaired it?
Is it a new steerer that's been brazed in?
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

gerrymcm wrote:Just being nosey but how do you think they repaired it?
Is it a new steerer that's been brazed in?

Yes it is. I know this because they told me and that it's also obvious that's what they've done. Looks like a nice job and with a longer steerer I can choose from a selection of headsets.

Just been cleaning off the paint and drifting on and off an old fork crown race so that the new one will go on nice and easy when it turns up. Looking forward to fitting them; the temporary replacement forks were longer so the steering was a bit slower.
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

It sounds like a very good service and glad it all worked out for you.
Gerry
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

fatboy wrote:Photo of snapped forks. Note the lots of holes. It's as if when drilling the holes for the mudguard they needed a few goes at it!

Toop the bike out this morning and it rode very nicely. No fork judder which the bike has always suffered from, makes me think that the issue has been there for quite a while.

Thanks for all the help, advice etc. Will see how the hanger works out and store the ideas for the future if needed.

Just out of curiosity - have you had this frame from new? I wonder if it's had a bodged repair at some time.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

fastpedaller wrote:
fatboy wrote:Photo of snapped forks. Note the lots of holes. It's as if when drilling the holes for the mudguard they needed a few goes at it!

Toop the bike out this morning and it rode very nicely. No fork judder which the bike has always suffered from, makes me think that the issue has been there for quite a while.

Thanks for all the help, advice etc. Will see how the hanger works out and store the ideas for the future if needed.

Just out of curiosity - have you had this frame from new? I wonder if it's had a bodged repair at some time.

From new. Guarantee wouldn't have been valid otherwise.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Oops - In a senior moment I didn't spot the 2nd page relating to this subject. Glad you got it sorted, fortunate you spotted it in time!
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

You are rather fortunate to get a repaired fork from Dawes. I claimed on the guarantee of my 2002 Galaxy frame no less than three times. First and second claims were braze on related on the fork, for which I received different spec replacement forks; third time was the rear rack braze on had peeled away from the frame, for which I received a brand new 2009 frameset. Wish I'd kept that now, as it had a nice high head tube, but it was exactly the same colour as my Hewitt Cheviot :roll: But I needed funds for my Mercian project at the time.