Drop handlebars uncomfortable downhill

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mark1978

Re: Drop handlebars uncomfortable downhill

Post by Mark1978 »

Bar top levers have always struck me as a solution to a bike not set up properly or a task where flats would be more appropriate. I prepare to be shot down on this!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mark1978 wrote:Bar top levers have always struck me as a solution to a bike not set up properly or a task where flats would be more appropriate. I prepare to be shot down on this!

BANG!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I die! :D
Si

Post by Si »

Mark1978 wrote:Bar top levers have always struck me as a solution to a bike not set up properly or a task where flats would be more appropriate. I prepare to be shot down on this!

that's drop bar levers full stop!
Now move over and let me shelter in your trench :lol: .
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Going back to the position and pain thing. Can we assume that the bike is perfectly set up, not just as you bought it and that it fits you. If neither of these are the case then you are missing step 1 and can't really blame drop bars. By set up and fit properly I mean time and expertise not just what takes your fancy. Too many people complain of drop bars and yet have them pointing all ways, the levers in the wrong place or badly adjusted and at the wrong height. Is the saddle in the correct place? Correct is the established place not where the previous owner left it. Deviate from this if you will but only after starting from a known acceptable standard.
elioelio

Post by elioelio »

Hi there,
I just realised I never said thank you for all your replies! So thanks. I did take the bike in to a friend who shortened the brake cable and it made the braking a little easier, but certainly not perfect. I have to feel a little overwhelmed. I know nothing about bikes, I just ride them so the jargon is a little hard to get by for me! I'm desperatle trying to finish a PhD so will give everything a good read through when I'm done and have time to understand it!
Ta again
Hubs

Post by Hubs »

I did this as well; went from unhappy with the riding position to very happy. The drops, being shallower and splayed, allow a far more comfortable position to use the brakes from (for me).

Dave W wrote:I use One One Midge Bars. Get some funny looks from fellow cyclists but I love them. Wrist position is turned in and suits me better than normal drops. I've never liked the hand position on normal drop bars always feels very unnatural to me (but then I am odd).

resized.jpg
mjr

Post by mjr »

If that PhD is at UEA, there's a Dr Bike mechanic and a bicycle user group (BUG) which might have some ideas or other bikes/bars/levers you could try to see if it's a bike problem or you're just a poor soul like me who could never brake well from hoods. I used turkey levers and a rack pack instead of a bar bag, but today I'd use interrupter brake levers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The problem maybe that some brake levers are designed for average or greater length fingers. If you have relatively short fingers (like me) braking from the hoods can be difficult however the brakes are set up. I don't know if any STIs have different shaped levers which are better for shorter fingers, but I cannot get very effective braking from the hoods of my Shimano ones.

There are plastic inserts for some Shimano ones which bring the lever nearer the the handlebars. Find out if these are fitted and if so what thickness. Adjust the cable so there is as much slack as possible, whilst still allowing the brake to be applied fully. These should help a better grip on the lever.

My Tektro non STI RL341 which have a very curved lever designed for shorter fingers, are fine for braking from the hoods, and comfortable, but of course require a separate gear lever. Maybe trying out other levers is one (but expensive?) solution? In spite of other comments above you may find that positioning the levers outwards helps you get your fingers round the levers, especially from the drops.

Note - Glove size is based on the hand width not finger length!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.