Top pannier bags

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PhilipJohn

Top pannier bags

Post by PhilipJohn »

I have this week purchased a new Galaxy and returned to the C.T.C. fold after an absence of 30 years. My bike has a Tubus Logo rear pannier and I would like to fit a bag on top of the narrow rails. Those that I have tried so far do not seem very secure and move easily fore and aft. Please can anyone suggest a suitable top bag for this rack? I'm told that at a later date, any Ortleib pannier will fit this rack.
Edwards

Re: Top pannier bags

Post by Edwards »

Welcome to the forum, do you know what type of rear carrier is fitted?

The only thing I can think of is one that site close to the seat post/saddle and has a front strap.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Do you mean you are looking for a rack bag? One of my bikes has a Tubus Logo and I've wondered about this too. As it happens I've just ordered a Carradice Super C rackbag for another bike with a different carrier, but I'll try it on the Logo to see if it works.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Most rack bags are too wide to fit properly on a Tubus Logo. I have used a Vaude Silkroad on mine but it never felt totally secure and I eventually gave up on it and bought a Carradice Barley saddlebag instead.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The Altura rack packs should be okay on it? Dryline or Arran? Quite a few bike shops carry them, so you can probably go try one. They have fasteners that go around the rack, so shouldn't move fore and aft.

If you don't mind spending a bit more, you can also get Ortlieb rack packs.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
grani

Post by grani »

I have a Tubus Vega on a bike and I believe it has the same width as a Logo. I tried fitting a Altura Dryline rack bag on it but the fastener for the bag is too wide and made for a very bad fit. The bag would move sideways because of the narrow rack.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

grani wrote:I have a Tubus Vega on a bike and I believe it has the same width as a Logo. I tried fitting a Altura Dryline rack bag on it but the fastener for the bag is too wide and made for a very bad fit. The bag would move sideways because of the narrow rack.

That's too bad. I really like my Altura Arran. Maybe the OP meant the bags move side to side?

The Ortlieb trunk bag has two or three different mounting systems available. Maybe one of those would work?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
grani

Post by grani »

Vorpal wrote:
grani wrote:I have a Tubus Vega on a bike and I believe it has the same width as a Logo. I tried fitting a Altura Dryline rack bag on it but the fastener for the bag is too wide and made for a very bad fit. The bag would move sideways because of the narrow rack.

That's too bad. I really like my Altura Arran. Maybe the OP meant the bags move side to side?

The Ortlieb trunk bag has two or three different mounting systems available. Maybe one of those would work?

I think the bag can also move fore and aft but I found that to be an easier problem to solve (cable ties or similar). My solution in the end was to swap to a wide Tortec rack and donate the Vega rack to my better half. Now I am a bit curious again and might have a go at fitting the Dryline bag on the Vega when I get home tonight.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Have you considered one of these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/alt ... rrency=GBP I have one and think it's a great bit of kit, easily removable leaving just a small bracket on the seat post. Very secure
'Kernow bys Vyken'
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

LollyKat wrote:Do you mean you are looking for a rack bag? One of my bikes has a Tubus Logo and I've wondered about this too. As it happens I've just ordered a Carradice Super C rackbag for another bike with a different carrier, but I'll try it on the Logo to see if it works.

I can now confirm that this bag does NOT fit on the Tubus Logo.
grani

Post by grani »

grani wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

I think the bag can also move fore and aft but I found that to be an easier problem to solve (cable ties or similar). My solution in the end was to swap to a wide Tortec rack and donate the Vega rack to my better half. Now I am a bit curious again and might have a go at fitting the Dryline bag on the Vega when I get home tonight.
I have just tried to fit the Dryline bag on the Vega (similar dimensions as the Logo?) and even though it can be made secure with a couple of cable ties I would say it doesn't fit.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

PhilipJohn wrote:I have this week purchased a new Galaxy ....

Did the Tubus Logo come with it? How much luggage weight do you think you might want to carry? I suggest that if you want a rackbag you would be better exchanging or selling the Tubus and getting, say, a Topeak Super Tourist instead, which would allow you to use a rackbag with out any problems, and even with panniers at the same time. (Topeak's own MTX trunk bags will clip into this.)

If you prefer to keep the Tubus Logo consider a saddlebag instead such as the Carradice Barley or Super C Audax, or the slightly larger Pendle. Attach it with the Bagman Quick Release saddle clamp and let the carrier support the bag.