The End of Campagnolo Triples?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Valbrona

The End of Campagnolo Triples?

Post by Valbrona »

Can't seem to find mention of any triple kit on the new Campag website. This leaves me to guess that 2014 Triple kit might be their last.
I should coco.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: The End of Campagnolo Triples?

Post by Mick F »

2014 catalogue:
http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/0 ... ts-ENG.pdf
Athena 11sp, Centaur 10sp and Veloce 10sp have triple options.
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

Definitely no mention in the 2015 releases I've seen. I think 2014 will be the last year they do them.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Given that they've reintroduced triples barely a year ago, that would be surprising, and disappointing - I was waiting for some feedback reports on the new range of external bearing triples before ordering one! To drop them so soon, if indeed they have, suggests that sales must have been dismal.
gfk_velo

Post by gfk_velo »

Athena (11s) Triple stays in the range for 2015.
It may not be on the website *yet* as it's just being fully renovated / updated - there is a lot of technical info that's not on yet either.

We are waiting final confirmation on Veloce (10s) triple.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Campagnolo Main UK SC
Head Technician and Director, Velotech Cycling Ltd,
Nationwide modular mechanic's training in all bicycle types
Campagnolo's main factory-appointed UK Technical and Service Centre
honesty

Post by honesty »

Thats good to know,

thanks
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Phew. Lack of mention of triples on the new website was enough to worry me.
I should coco.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Valbrona wrote:Phew. Lack of mention of triples on the new website was enough to worry me.

Why? - If you use Ergos you can use almost any road triple chainset.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

pete75 wrote:
Valbrona wrote:Phew. Lack of mention of triples on the new website was enough to worry me.

I use Stronglight.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

pete75 wrote:

I didn't mean 'triple chainsets'. I meant triple groupsets. (I use a Miche 110/74BCD triple chainset. I think the Campag triple chainsets with 135/74BCD are stupid).

Newer Ergolevers are not all triple compatible, like the older ones. You get double Ergolevers and triple Ergolevers now, I believe. If Campag were to discontinue triple components and I were to smash up my old Ergolevers, that would mean that I would probably switch to double rather than try and source old stock.

And you will also note that you need a triple FD to run a triple drivetrain.

And you will also note that you need a rear mech with a long enough cage to properly run a triple drivetrain.
I should coco.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Valbrona wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I didn't mean 'triple chainsets'. I meant triple groupsets. (I use a Miche 110/74BCD triple chainset. I think the Campag triple chainsets with 135/74BCD are stupid).

Newer Ergolevers are not all triple compatible, like the older ones. You get double Ergolevers and triple Ergolevers now, I believe. If Campag were to discontinue triple components and I were to smash up my old Ergolevers, that would mean that I would probably switch to double rather than try and source old stock.

And you will also note that you need a triple FD to run a triple drivetrain.

And you will also note that you need a rear mech with a long enough cage to properly run a triple drivetrain.

The so called double Ergos work a triple chainset - I should know I've been using some which I bought on this forum from Crepello and with a Veloce double front mechanism on a Centaur triple chainset with no problems. In any case Ergos will work any front dérailleur even Shimano MTB which STI won't work with.
What Campag call a medium cage works with a triple.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

pete75 wrote:The so called double Ergos work a triple chainset - I should know I've been using some which I bought on this forum from Crepello and with a Veloce double front mechanism on a Centaur triple chainset with no problems. In any case Ergos will work any front dérailleur even Shimano MTB which STI won't work with..

That is interesting to know. I suppose once Campag changed to a single pattern of double FD - rather than standard and compact versions - these had more chance of working with a triple chainset.

pete75 wrote:What Campag call a medium cage works with a triple.

Agreed. I run my triple with a medium cage RD, but it is at the very limit of its capacity.
I should coco.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Valbrona wrote: ........ I run my triple with a medium cage RD, but it is at the very limit of its capacity.
Me too, but I think my Chorus medium rear mech is coming to the end of its life. When I replace it, it will be with a long cage.

Campag Comp, if I can find one.
Best I buy one before they are all gone.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here's one.
http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/p/23642/Campa ... tAodfhgAcA

I'll give it some thought and check in my piggy bank.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »