Help please, rear derailleur snapped, recommendations?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Colin_P

Help please, rear derailleur snapped, recommendations?

Post by Colin_P »

Evening All,

I wonder if anyone can help.

This evening I was out in the fields / tracks when I hit some long grass / weeds which must have forced the derailleur into a spoke, which caught and then proceeded to yank it round against its stop resulting in this happening (pics below);

The bike is quite a low end one and I know that I need a new derailleur but my questions relate to what to replace the derailleur with? Like for like replacement or something a bit better and more robust? Any recommendations more than welcomed.

Also, any ideas if I did go like for like what I should be looking for? (I'll go out now and have a look to see if there are any numbers stamped on it).
Colin_P

Re: Help please, rear derailleur snapped, recommendations?

Post by Colin_P »

Further to the above, I've just been out and cannot find a part number or any other identification it anywhere.

Would I be looking for a 7 speed indexed one, are the road bikes / hybrids (which this bike is) / mountain bikes all the same ?
timdownieuk

Post by timdownieuk »

I think it's just your gear hanger that's broken, not your derailleur. Should be able to fix it cheaply (unless I'm wrong). ;-)
Stewart H

Post by Stewart H »

Just looked at the mechanisms in the spares box, Altus and Deore they both finish at the big allen bolt, I reckon you have snapped a derailleur hanger, probably available from the bike manufacturer.
Colin_P

Post by Colin_P »

Thanks Gents,

No the actual cage is twisted also.

I've ordered what looks like the identical item for the princely sum of £12.49 and that is an RD-M310. I couldn't find those numbers on mine!

Not worth not replacing and when it worked it worked well. Just hope I've not damaged the dropout on the frame or any spokes on the wheel.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Whilst accepting that the mech is twisted it does look like a broken hanger to me too. For help finding the right replacement: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=77350

The hanger is a sacrificial part, it breaks to save potential damage to the frame so hopefully the dropout will be OK.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
drossall

Post by drossall »

Does look like a mangled drop-out as well. You should be able to get one of those from a Giant dealer or an independent supplier - but you need to know the exact bike model and (preferably) year. A dealer could identify that, no doubt, if you can't.
Colin_P

Post by Colin_P »

I've not stripped it down but after a quick look it appears the dropout is fine. Half of the lug for the derailleur is still in there though. I won't know though until I strip it down.

The derailleur itself is twisted and with the hanger being snapped clean in two it wasn't worth messing with. As said, I've ordered what looks like an identical item for the bargain price of £12.49.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Colin_P wrote:...Half of the lug for the derailleur is still in there though...

What you appear to be describing as a lug is the derailleur hanger. The other part of it is still attached to the derailleur beneath your finger in this pic.
The hanger is attached to the dropout, the derailleur is attached to the hanger. Your new derailleur will not be supplied with a hanger.

There are numerous designs of hanger available, a Giant dealer will help you find the right one or you can use the links above.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
drossall

Post by drossall »

A clearer picture of the frame where the derailleur was attached, with as much clutter (cables, mudguards) as possible out of the way, would settle this?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

You broke a hanger.......there are a few to choose from......

Here by bike brand......http://wheelsmfg.com/products/derailleur-hangers/manufacturers.html

EDIT....I'd say it was a number 21http://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-manufacturers/?manufacturer=Giant&q=Search+For+Model, except yours seems to have an extra hole.....?
Colin_P

Post by Colin_P »

Oh....

Didn't think of that :roll:

Yes I'll need the hanger as well. :idea:

Half of it is still on the bike the other half attached to the derailleur.

I last swapped out a Sachs Huret derailleur back in 1980 something and I'm sure when you bought one you got the bracket to attach the thing to the frame!
Colin_P

Post by Colin_P »

Yes, the hanger is in bits.

As for the derailleur there are no numbers stamped on it.

It is also aluminium or feels like it so no chance of me straightening it and welding it back together. It is going to be tricky to source another online. My local bike shop is halfords who probably won't be able to help and no being able to drive means getting to another shop could be tricky.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Looks like this one. There are plenty of places from which you could order it.

I'd order a derailleur online, if you can't easily get to a shop. Probably cheaper too. You're right about not trying to straighten it - chances are you'd never get indexing working smoothly again.

It's not so much the derailleur that is seven speed, as the gear-shift lever. That's where the indexing is set. You need a Shimano derailleur*, and you probably don't want the latest 9-11 speed, as you could run into problems with it being designed for narrow chains. However, something such as this Acera should do the job.

As you probably know, you need the correct derailleur arm (cage) length, because the cage swings back and forth to take up slack in the chain, as you change between small and large sprockets and rings (which inherently require differing chain lengths). Looks as though you have a long-arm model, which is to be expected with your kind of bike. Short-arm ones will only cope with closer gears (and double rather than triple rings), as found on sports bikes.

If you fancy an upgrade, in your age of gear it's fine to mix and match, as long as you stick to Shimano, and you could go for a Deore or something. Rosebikes have a good listing of what's compatible with what speeds.

Obviously you may as well change the cable while you're at it. If you haven't done an indexed gear before, it's not hard, but you're lining up the seven positions in the lever with the seven sprockets, so it's really a matter of cable adjustment. There are plenty of instructions on the Web. No doubt Park Tools will have some, for example.

* In the old days, you could use any derailleur with any shift lever and any sprockets. With indexing, the derailleur must move the right distance across the sprockets for each click. Different makes of derailleur move different distances for each mm of cable pull, different makes of sprocket cluster have different spacings, and different controls pull different lengths of cable per click. Bit of a minefield by comparison...
Last edited by drossall on 30 Jul 2014, 10:59am, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hanger has (mostly) done it's job there by the look of it. Sacrificial parts are useful at times.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.