Bar End Gear Levers - advantages?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
al_yrpal

Re: Bar End Gear Levers - advantages?

Post by al_yrpal »

Bar ends are far more convenient to reach than downtube levers - period…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:Bar ends are far more convenient to reach than downtube levers - period…

Al

I have to beg to differ,there's not much in it between the two IME unless riding on the drops.
However what beats them both hands down(sorry)is Kelly T/Offs (see the skinflints thread for other diy equivelants).Levers next to the hoods and easily reached from the all the usual hand positions without much of a problem.
Of course you have to have 'washing lines' with Kelly's which wouldn't suit MickF.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
BigG

Post by BigG »

I have never understood the advantages of bar-end levers over downtube ones. The additional cabling adds further imprecision to the change (probably important for 11 speeds) and the lever itself is on a less stable platform. My own preference is for Kelly take-offs with downtube levers - or of course sti units. I, and I think most of us, ride mainly on the tops or the brake hoods. Reaching for the bar-ends is no easier from there than reaching to the downtube.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Been using them for a few months now and I finally found a disadvantage this morning when I trapped that fleshy piece of skin between thumb and forefinger :roll: yelp!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Spinners wrote:Been using them for a few months now and I finally found a disadvantage this morning when I trapped that fleshy piece of skin between thumb and forefinger :roll: yelp!

Ah! so you've not caught your knee on an extended one yet,another painful experience :shock: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Well, no-one else has mentioned this so I will. To me the big difference between DT and BE is that you can use BE's whilst keeping a 2 handed grip on the handlebars.
Oceanic

Post by Oceanic »

MartinC wrote:Well, no-one else has mentioned this so I will. To me the big difference between DT and BE is that you can use BE's whilst keeping a 2 handed grip on the handlebars.

Change down tube shifters with both hands on the bars? Which bit of your anatomy do you push the lever with?

I'm not sure mine would reach.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Oceanic wrote:
MartinC wrote:Well, no-one else has mentioned this so I will. To me the big difference between DT and BE is that you can use BE's whilst keeping a 2 handed grip on the handlebars.

Change down tube shifters with both hands on the bars? Which bit of your anatomy do you push the lever with?

Eh?
Oceanic

Post by Oceanic »

Bicycler wrote:
Oceanic wrote:

Eh?

Oh, I misread Martin's post. Eats humble pie...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Oceanic wrote:
Bicycler wrote:

Eh?

Oh, I misread Martin's post. Eats humble pie...[/quote]
Or just use your knees ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This is the single most biggest best advantage that I've read. Thank you Martin.

When I was using DT levers, I invariably used my right hand to do either/both levers. It was a rare thing for me to use my left hand .............. or any other part of my anatomy! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall