Bar tape and bar end shifters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fastpedaller

Re: Bar tape and bar end shifters

Post by fastpedaller »

The tape finishers (freeby from Cycling Weekly) were made by Selev - yes I've found one! will photo tomorrow, as I've searched the internet and can't find any reference to them. From memory they are '80's produced. A nice way for finishing off may be to use 'Self Amalgamating' tape - this is special non-adhesive tape for car wiring looms, but great stuff because it doesn't get all sticky like electrical tape, and 'joins together' (like it says on the tin) - not sure how durable it would be a)in sunlight or b)daily use.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

fastpedaller wrote:The tape finishers (freeby from Cycling Weekly) were made by Selev - yes I've found one! will photo tomorrow, as I've searched the internet and can't find any reference to them. From memory they are '80's produced. A nice way for finishing off may be to use 'Self Amalgamating' tape - this is special non-adhesive tape for car wiring looms, but great stuff because it doesn't get all sticky like electrical tape, and 'joins together' (like it says on the tin) - not sure how durable it would be a)in sunlight or b)daily use.

Self amalg is fine in sunlight, not sure about sweat though...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Here are a couple of photos of the Selev tape finishers (freebie from Cycling Weekly in the 80's?). Bare bar,as can be seen the tape fits in the gap beteen the finisher and bar - also provision for a cable outer to run out of the tape at the finisher. Shame they don't seem to be available now.
I don't think they would be suitable for the bar end (with bar end shifters) as they wouldn't give a route for the outer cable.
Attachments
tape2.jpg
tape2.jpg (4.08 KiB) Viewed 874 times
tape1.jpg
tape1.jpg (3.91 KiB) Viewed 874 times
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I got a pair of them with the comic, too. For long enough they were kicking about among my junk, still in the cellophane wrapper. I can't remember what happened to them, but I've had several clearouts of stuff I'd been reluctant to chuck away. I presume that if stuff like that is being given away, it's because they cannot sell it.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Or it could be that they do a good deal with the magazine and sell thousands all at once! - I have to say I found them to be a good item.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I'm sure something similar (identical?) came with some bar tape I got in the 80s/90s - Cinelli possibly.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
grani

Post by grani »

I got a pair with some Gilles Berthoud leather bar tape 6 months ago. They look very neat but both the brake and gear cable didn't fit in its groove so I decided to use tape instead.

It didn't help that I have oversized bars and the thing would have taken quite a lot of the flat section of the wrapping away and not leaving me with a full hands width on the top of the bars.
Cusqueno

Bar tape and bar end shifters

Post by Cusqueno »

The tape I plan to use is by Benotto.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407269943.118762.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407269928.382877.jpg

I bought this some time ago from an eBay seller in Mexico (where it was made). I bought ten packs - red, blue, green and clear - for a very reasonable price. There are bargains to be had if you are prepared to wait.

Until now I haven't used the end caps supplied, but they are supposed to be heat shrink. So I might cut off the end to leave a ring and use that to finish off the bar ends; starting on the tops as I usually do.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

At the moment I have some self-amalgamating tape which will undergo some 'sweat testing' but ... heat shrink, now that's an idea! I'll have to see how large a diameter it's available in.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I've just pushed in the bar end shifters the same as if end plugs had been used to tuck in the bar tape. No electrical tape all on the bar ends. Tape is Prologo from Spa.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

fastpedaller wrote:At the moment I have some self-amalgamating tape which will undergo some 'sweat testing' but ... heat shrink, now that's an idea! I'll have to see how large a diameter it's available in.

Heat shrink comes in huge sizes. Excellent idea!

No affiliation but http://www.hilltop-products.co.uk/heat- ... -wall.html does up to 15cm diameter! but in their colours section there is 50-25mm and 38-19mm which look good for bar tape.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

A large range (1000+) of heat-shrink tubing is available from RS Components. See
http://m.rs-online.com/h5/mobile/uk/catalog?searchTerm=Heat-shrink&search_submit
Which should, I think, just show the ones that are 25.4mm pre-shrinking (1"). Black is the commonest colour, but some colours and clear are available. Prices and minimum quantities are a bit random and p&p might make it too expensive unless you live next-door to an RS distribution centre or work in the electrical/electronics industry (or know someone who does).
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

38mm diameter heatshrink (will shrink to 19mm) bought today from my local wholesale outlet ...... 500mm for £1
What a result. Tried it out on a bare bar (just to experiment) worked great using a heat gun (DIY paint removal type) - a lighter may give more accuracy (positionally) but less temperature-wise.
As long as it doesn't degrade it's ideal.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And at that cost - it can degrade a few times before being a bad deal.

I'd use a hot air gun, maybe with a scoop attachment - lighters are OK in extremis, but they're not good for the tape - they tend to melt it...