Low profile powerful light for mounting on helmet

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Audax67

Re: Low profile powerful light for mounting on helmet

Post by Audax67 »

Why low profile? I use a Decathlon item that folds back when not in use, but it's still a lump. Doesn't bother me, I'm not exactly aerodynamic myself.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

thirdcrank wrote:
andrewjoseph wrote:Goodness sakes guys! How many poorly adjusted car lights do you encounter compared to bike riders with decent lights!

A typical late evening or night journey will encounter several. How many riders? Zero!

I like to see where I'm going too!

The light is mounted to a broad plastic base underneath which I put a layer of high density foam.

Oh, I use these lights for mtb, I quite often get lights shone in my eyes from fellow riders, it's not nice, but not dangerous.

Had this thread been about motor vehicle lights I'd probably have got my two pennorth in, but I would say that most of my problems in that area seem to be the result of a lack of consideration or poor maintenance, rather than a deliberate decision to shine a light directly into somebody's face. I can just about accept that there may be some non-driving riders who don't appreciate the effect of deliberately shining a bright light into a driver's face so an explanation is not out-of-place.

Nobody I know deliberately shines their light into someone's eyes, but when a group are standing together discussing route options or doing 24 hr event with a few thousand other riders, it's pretty much unavoidable.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

.... So many times I've been riding along and seen a driver pull up to a side road. It seems as though they haven't seen me as there's been little eye contact but turning my head slightly and directing the powerful flashing light in their direct line of sight has always caught their attention ...
Highkicker79

Post by Highkicker79 »

Dave W wrote:Flippin'eck the guy only asked what light to buy :lol:

Indeed, I regret asking the question now. I'm not out to blind drivers, I was only after a light that I could use to "be seen". I didn't want one of the cheap "under a quid" LED lights from eBay that are less powerful than a keychain light. I only use the light on flash mode, which AFAIK, always limit the brightness even if the light is able to output so much more (this is what my current light does). Anyway, I've still not seen anything that suits so I shall keep an eye out for something more suitable. Thanks for everyone's help.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I like my Petzel NAO as I can shine it where I am looking. This includes flicking the beam so that I illuminate the side of a car or truck. This is done not to dazzle but to lighten the inside and bonnet (if there is one) to attract attention.
I do not deliberately try to shine it into the drivers eyes but flick the beam about, sometimes illuminating the face for a very short time.

I am sure it is legal for me to shine a torch in any direction along a road. Provided it is on the person, after all the emergency services and others use torches waved across the road to warn of problems.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

For just a 'be seen ' lightz knog are good. I bought a pack of 4 knog look alikes front and rear for not a lot. Can't find the email now!
--
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

I've had a few Knog lights and found them very unreliable with the switch going on several and others just stopping working. Can't recommend them and they weren't cheap.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I bought a few sets of challenge lights for less than £5 as set. Brighter than the cheapest knogs.
--
trieste

Post by trieste »

There are probably very good reasons that cyclists and motorbikers have not, in the last 100+ years in any country in the world, decided that having headlights (ironic, huh) attached to the head is good policy.

If you are cycling along and I as a fellow cyclist am waiting at a junction I would certainly not like a "powerful flashing light" destroying my night vision.
Highkicker79

Post by Highkicker79 »

trieste wrote:There are probably very good reasons that cyclists and motorbikers have not, in the last 100+ years in any country in the world, decided that having headlights (ironic, huh) attached to the head is good policy.

If you are cycling along and I as a fellow cyclist am waiting at a junction I would certainly not like a "powerful flashing light" destroying my night vision.

Why would a cyclist with a helmet mounted light, point their light in the direction of a cyclist waiting at a junction? I certainly would not do that. It's a proven fact that cyclists are more aware of other cyclists on the road compared to motor vehicle drivers (which makes perfect sense as you're in "their shoes")

When I cycle along, I use my eye balls too look at the side roads while keep my helmet straight and thus the directed light would be no different to a handlebar mounted light. Only when I notice a potential issue do I then move my head to direct the line in an intentional way. When I do need to move my head such as when I am checking behind me, this is for just a split second so any light that's not directed at the front is just a sweeping light for a split second and hardly enough to blind anyone. Statistically, half of this time is when my light is in between the flash so it's not even a constant light.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Highkicker79 wrote:.... Statistically, half of this time is when my light is in between the flash so it's not even a constant light.

I suppose that for anybody on the receiving end, the trick is to practice blinking at the same rate as the light's flashing. :roll:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Bloody hell, the poor bloke wanted a light, not a lecture.

Never mind the "pre-emptive self-defence"** aspect, helmet lights are very useful for picking out signs that your main lights don't reach, and scrutinizing the bit of road that's under your main beam, i.e. the bit you'll be riding over in the next three secs. And don't forget that all the routing arrows on PBP are reflective.

** © 2003 Pentagon Associates
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'll declare an interest: for some selfish reason I don't like having powerful lights flashed in my face. I take no reassurance from somebody who says they will only do it if I'm driving, mainly because that's the time when it's most important to be able to see clearly.

When I read this thread, I'm reminded of an occasion a couple of years ago when I was reluctantly driving on Dad's Airport Taxi Service during a winter evening peak at the roundabout where the A65 crosses the Leeds Outer Ring Road. A busy dog-eat-dog set-up where I take my hat off to anybody riding a bike. As I waited patiently at the GIVE WAY lines, there was a cyclists approaching from my right, so I naturally waited. I then got the beam from a powerful helmet light (I can't comment on the profile :roll: ) right in the mush. The rider must have been fully aware that I had seen him, or at least his light from my instinctively raising my hand to protect my eyes. Aware or not, the rider persisted in shining his light directly at me - rather than look where he was going - all the time he was in front of me. I'm saying that this is pointless and potentially counter=productive.

As I said somewhere further up, I can understand that an inexperienced road user might be unaware of the issues here, so I'm happy to explain. More than once, if necessary.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Hell, nobody likes to be dazzled. If I'm driving my car and an oncoming car doesn't dip I'll give him a flash of main beam, who wouldn't? Same principle here: they don't notice your bike lights so give 'em a quick sight of your helmet light. The man wasn't saying it was for ever.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... nobody likes to be dazzled. ... .

I'm glad to hear I'm normal, at least in one respect.