Sigino OX80ID double chain set

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Wiganrobbo

Sigino OX80ID double chain set

Post by Wiganrobbo »

Can anyone tell me who imports the Sugino OX80ID double chain set as I am anxious to obtain a double with an inner less than 34 tooth.
BigG

Re: Sigino OX80ID double chain set

Post by BigG »

I can't answer your question directly, but have you considered a Stronglight 88 or 100? These use 86 mm bcd rings down to 28 teeth and are still available from Spa and others (rings only) or on ebay for rings and cranks. Sugino also made a similar crank set, I believe.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

There doesn't seem to be any European importer.
The chap in the CTC magazine got his from Japan. They are £214 there, so adding shipping, duty, VAT and the carrier's handing charges isn't going to leave a lot of change from £300.
They are also available in the US (Soma Fabrications) at $500
There are posts elsewhere suggesting that the BB is proprietary, leaving you also having to get any replacements from Japan. You may also like to check whether that's correct.

I'd be inclined to get a 110/74 touring triple from Spa, and swap the chainrings about to give a double, leaving the outer ring position vacant or using a chainguard there.

You may also like to consider this Velo Orange Grand Cru 50.4 bcd chainset, which allows a choice of rings down to 28T.
Last edited by andrew_s on 28 Jul 2014, 8:11pm, edited 3 times in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

There are a number of MTB doubles on the market. All will take an inner of less than 34 teeth.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Alex's Cycle in Japan are English speakers that will get you most things Japanese if they are not listed on their website.

But I have no sympathy for you if you can't get one because if you fit a triple you will get your favoured double combination and an extra chainring to boot. Honestly, triples are not all that bad. People will not laugh at you.

And there's supposed to be the Middleburn Incy.
Last edited by Valbrona on 28 Jul 2014, 10:05pm, edited 2 times in total.
I should coco.
gaz

Post by gaz »

A Shimano 400CX chainset may offer options if you can find one.

It was a mid 90's five arm triple from Mr S: 42/32/20, with the middle and inner rings mounted on a 58BCD spider, outer on a 94?BCD. JIS square taper.

Simple enough to lose the middle ring.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Wiganrobbo

Post by Wiganrobbo »

HI to you all and many thanks for taking the trouble to reply to me. To those who recommend a triple, well, without wishing at all to be disrespectful, if I'd wanted a triple I would have asked for one! I have already got a 10 speed cassette (Marchisio), and Campag 10 Speed record (long arm rear) and front plus Record Ergo shifters. I have taken the advice from the Shimano MountainBike advocates and found Shimano XT M785 10 speed Double with 28/40 options. I know Shimano Rear Mech will work with Campag Ergo levers because I have them on my Hewitt. What I want is to use this glorious Campy kit.

Oh yes and I apologise for not putting all this stuff in before.

Cheers to you all Wiganrobbo
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Wiganrobbo wrote:I have already got a 10 speed cassette (Marchisio), and Campag 10 Speed record (long arm rear) and front plus Record Ergo shifters.

Well, you've got some nice kit there.

I am presuming your FD is a Campag Record Double. If so you might find that it will not work very satisfactory with a small double like you propose. Been there, dunnit, and abandoned the arrangement. Not enough curve to the FD cage, so even if well positioned the chain is likely to get jammed between the big chainring and cage plate, and I got too much chain slap.

Oh, and use an MTB double chainset and you will possibly find that there isn't enough outswing on your Record Double FD. An MTB chainset has a different chainline to a road-specific one, and they stick out from the BB more.
I should coco.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you are at all sensitive to 'Q' values (how far apart your feet are) then you may not get on with an MTB double. They are significantly wider; not the same thing at all as a road double, usually.

I don't know how you feel about it but if I went for a campag drivetrain then from an aesthetic standpoint, just about the last thing I'd choose would be an MTB double crankset to go with it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wiganrobbo

Post by Wiganrobbo »

Again thanks to all for your valuable comments. What I am trying to do is create a light touring bike with low gears. I have, as I have said, these Campy Record Ergo Levers, Changers (long arm), cassette, what I need is a sub compact chainset, say 40/30. All there seem to be are the aforementioned, Shimano double, Sugino (dear, unavailable?). Q values shouldn't be a problem I I have a Shimano Deore Triple on my present touring bike. A triple with the big ring substituted by a chain guard will, I feel, look even worse!

Wiganrobbo
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Hi, you might find a second-hand TA Pro Vis 5 on ebay, Retrobike, from Hilary Stone etc.
I brought one second-hand for ~£70 a year or two ago. Have run it 46,30 & 42,30. Chainrings are available from Spa (though I have read on here that stock is dwindling).
It has a relatively narrow Q factor, and is a beauty, IMHO.
I had a full campag 9 speed groupset on a bike, and replaced a campag compact double 46,34 with the TA 42,30. Worked well with a 13-28 9 speed rear.
Some of your existing kit wouldn't be compatible though. You would need an old style road front mech, as the clearance between outer ring and crank arm is very thin. Plus a different BB. Mine takes a 118mm-122mm shimano JIS bottom bracket.
(Disclaimer: I've only run mine with 8 or 9 speed, so am not sure if the chainrings cope well with 10 speed? Perhaps someone out there can enlighten me?)
I did read a couple of horror stories online about the cranks cracking near the pedal threads, so buyer beware. Also, re aesthetics, the cranks are very slim relative to modern kit, so look better with skinny tubed steel frames rather than fat carbon 'steroid' tubing.

Best wishes,

Luke
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Another option, which might even be cheaper, is to run Shimergo and buy a shimano compatible rear wheel and shimano MTB rear mech. I have done this to fit a custom 8 speed 13-32 or 13-34 rear cassette with a standard compact double on the front.
HoWB Dave

Post by HoWB Dave »

The OX601D, the slightly more economical version of the same, is available on Hubjub.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Is that new? I thought I'd checked on Hubjub.

So that leaves the OX601D or the VO Grand Cru 50.4 (modern version of the TA Pro Vis 5) as road compact doubles.
Which you go for will depend on whether you want a modern external bearing BB, or old & long-lived square taper.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

andrew_s wrote:Is that new? I thought I'd checked on Hubjub.

So that leaves the OX601D or the VO Grand Cru 50.4 (modern version of the TA Pro Vis 5) as road compact doubles.
Which you go for will depend on whether you want a modern external bearing BB, or old & long-lived square taper.

..................or a Herse, TA Carmina, various Middleburn or IRD Defiant. Or make your own from stock components using triple cranks (to give you 2 BCDs) and custom chainrings. The constraints are minimum chainring sizes for that BCD you choose and whether you can get a middle ring of the size you want - and if you don't care about the ramps and pins then the middle doesn't matter.

Presumably we're talking super compact road ('cos there's plenty of ordinary road compacts available). You've actually got more choice in making your own if you go below 46/30 because there are more BCD choices for a middle ring. As far as Iknow you can only get a 46 middle chainring for 110.

Do Highpath still make custom chainrings - can't get their website to respond? If so then you can do what you want subject to finding front mechs to match yourchainset and shifters.