bottom brackets

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
whoops

bottom brackets

Post by whoops »

Many years ago I took the bottom bracket out of this frame. Having had it recently renovated I was baffled to find that on the drive side I could only replace the fixed cup by screwing it in the back-peddling direction which rather surprised me because I always thought it would tighten up by going in the forward-pedaling clockwise direction. Is this normal. It is a Campag bottom bracket and a 1977 English-named frame. If this isn't a normal British practice I'm wondering if I purchased a rebadged Continental frame. I'm under the impression that the east London marque was built by one of several well respected frame builders who worked for this company. Just a thought!
Brucey

Re: bottom brackets

Post by Brucey »

no you have standard british threading there, perfectly normal and the best engineered solution for the design.

If you install a RH threaded part in the RH side of a BB, and it has any radial clearance, it will tend to precess backwards as you pedal, and unscrew.

You can demonstrate this quite nicely but putting a short length of tube inside the BB shell, and then moving your finger inside that, in a way that simulates the way the BB cup is loaded by the BB spindle. After a little while you should find that the tube has precessed ACW slightly, which would unscrew it were it RH threaded.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whoops

Re: bottom brackets

Post by whoops »

thanks Brucey.