Dawes Discovery or Giant Escape?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robbsafc

Dawes Discovery or Giant Escape?

Post by robbsafc »

I am currently riding a Gaint Boulder Alu Lite mountain bike just for a bit of exercise but getting into it more. I am looking to change over to a hybrid and am either looking at the Dawes Discovery 201/301/401 or a Giant Escape 3/2/1. However I have no idea with regards to the technology that is now part of modern day bikes as my existing bike is about 14 years old (still going well though). The prices of the bikes are similar i.e Dawes 201 and Giant Escape 3, 301 and Escape 2, 401 and Escape 1. I've been trying to compare them unsuccessfully but without understanding the hierarchy of the tech involved stand no chance. I am looking to go more for the better specced bikes of the 301/ Escape 2 or the 401/ Escape 1. If someone know which are the better gearing system, shifters etc your help would be much appreciated. I know that Giant has a decent reputation but can't seem to find out what Dawes is like as I don't know anyone who rides one.

Many thanks in advance.

Rob.
Brucey

Re: Dawes Discovery or Giant Escape?

Post by Brucey »

It is easy to be confused by the spec of bikes but all that stuff is just a red herring for the most part.

The most important things are;

-to buy the right type of bike!

-the frame- is it the sort you need, and does it fit you?

-the wheels- are they strong enough, will they last well?

-the components- will they last, do the bearings have adequate seals etc.

-the gearing; does it have a good range?

you will note that stuff like 'how many gears' and so forth doesn't appear on this list, because it isn't really that important, or it only has an effect on the bike by association. As it happens both bikes have similar gearing, wheels, transmission etc and even similar frame geometry IIRC. The main differences are arguably the fork material used and the warranty.

My suggestion would be that if you are getting into it more you might consider buying a bike with a similar mechanical spec but with dropped handlebars. For example this;

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-country-traveller-14?bct=browse%2fbicycles%2ftouring-bikes

This may well prove to be a more versatile bike in the long run.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Take training shoes as an example.
Average cheap trainers have several different colour bits of rubber in the soles. We are all so used to seeing this that we don't even notice any more, but it all started so that the marketing men could make trainers seem more complicated than they actually are.....you don't need anti-pronation wedges in your trainers to kick a ball about in the park, and your trainers haven't got them....just different colour bits of rubber.
So, buy a bike like you buy trainers.....get some test rides, buy what "feels right".
All the lists and lists of so-called technical blurb is just marketing bull.
(I would avoid bikes that only have 2 chainrings at the front, I prefer 3....but I'm old, and I need low gears.)
robbsafc

Post by robbsafc »

Thanks for the replies. I have a Giant and am familiar with the brand being as big as it is. Dawes on the other hand I know of but have no idea as to the brand reliability and quality. If I went for the Dawes I could trade in my existing bike towards it and so avoid the issue as what to do with my old bike. Bit of a dilemma, ideally I think I'll have to visit a dealer that stocks both brands and seek advice there.

Rob.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Ever ridden drop bars lad?

Drop bars offer a range of hand hold positions and even if you are not and never intend to be a full-on racer I would not rule them out in your choice of new bike.

Larger shops offer test rides, whereas your smaller outlets with limited stocks are not likely to have many bikes in your size.
I should coco.