Which kona ute frame?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
uncleboob

Which kona ute frame?

Post by uncleboob »

Hi guys, I'm about to purchase a kona ute through a bike scheme. As I tend to ride a 21" frame went with the 20" kona ute frame . This is the biggest frame they do for this bike which made me wonder whether it'll be too big. The two options are 18" and 20", I'm 5'8" with proportionate legs, which would you recommend? Many thanks Joab
andyh2

Re: Which kona ute frame?

Post by andyh2 »

I don't know for sure, but I'd expect the Ute sizing to be more MTB than road bike. I suspect you might be better fitted to an 18". Might be better to compare the effective horizontal top tube lengths, rather than seat post length.
The 18" Ute has ETT of 23.1" and the 20" has ETT of 24.1", perhaps you could compare that to your 'normal' 21" bike.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

18".
I should coco.
uncleboob

Post by uncleboob »

andyh2 wrote:I don't know for sure, but I'd expect the Ute sizing to be more MTB than road bike. I suspect you might be better fitted to an 18". Might be better to compare the effective horizontal top tube lengths, rather than seat post length.
The 18" Ute has ETT of 23.1" and the 20" has ETT of 24.1", perhaps you could compare that to your 'normal' 21" bike.

Thanks for that, just measured up my tourer and it has an ETT of 58cm/ 23" (ish) so looks like the 18" is the best option- really glad I asked, thanks guys Joab
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I've got a fully rigid 26" wheeled utility bike. ETT is 56cm. I am 5'8" with an inseam/inside leg of 80.5cm.

A 16" bike for me would be just too small - seatpost right at the limit. On a 20" I might be stretching a little too far.
I should coco.
uncleboob

Post by uncleboob »

Valbrona wrote:I've got a fully rigid 26" wheeled utility bike. ETT is 56cm. I am 5'8" with an inseam/inside leg of 80.5cm.

A 16" bike for me would be just too small - seatpost right at the limit. On a 20" I might be stretching a little too far.

Just put in my order for the 18", I'll let you know how I get on when it gets here. Cheers guys
531colin

Post by 531colin »

uncleboob wrote:
andyh2 wrote:I don't know for sure, but I'd expect the Ute sizing to be more MTB than road bike. I suspect you might be better fitted to an 18". Might be better to compare the effective horizontal top tube lengths, rather than seat post length.

Thanks for that, just measured up my tourer and it has an ETT of 58cm/ 23" (ish) so looks like the 18" is the best option- really glad I asked, thanks guys Joab

If, for example, you use drops on the tourer and ride on the hoods, and flats on the Ute, that isn't necessarily a valid comparison.