Long Haul Trucker and Disc Trucker fork comparison

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Long Haul Trucker and Disc Trucker fork comparison

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I agree with Colin. It isn't that wide-ish tyres can't make for a reasonable amount of comfort, it is just that, unladen, a springy frame/fork that is just right always makes things better.

BTW this is a little OT but I have always thought that the ride on a tandem was to 'be put up with' rather than 'savoured'; even standing on the pedals, you feel like a sack of potatoes through every pothole....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

531colin wrote:
We have said all this before.....
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=88847&hilit=+impression
I know the tyre deflects way, way more than the fork (or handlebar)...but a light frame and fork with just the right amount of "give", and a reasonably light pair of wheels, is a joy.....http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=88809&hilit=+Chrina

No one's denying it,but on narrow HP tyres it's th high frequency vibration that I find saps energy.Big supple rubber does away with it with no loss of speed IME.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:FWIW I agree with Colin. It isn't that wide-ish tyres can't make for a reasonable amount of comfort, it is just that, unladen, a springy frame/fork that is just right always makes things better.

See my reply to Colin above,and BTW we are discussing touring bikes you know the ones that carry a good bit of a load.

BTW this is a little OT but I have always thought that the ride on a tandem was to 'be put up with' rather than 'savoured'; even standing on the pedals, you feel like a sack of potatoes through every pothole....

cheers

Then maybe you haven't ridden and toured on a comfortable tandem.

Edit:- one last point IME big supple rubber handles potholes,washboard and bad tarmac at speed(+25mph) better than any HP narrow tyres,springy fork or not.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden