Poor Planet X setup

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NickAndrew123

Poor Planet X setup

Post by NickAndrew123 »

Hi,

So I took my relatively new Planet X RT-58 back to Planet X after about 3/4 week of solid use for a free service because the steer tube was starting to make some worrying creaks. I was given it back after the half hour service with the cables having been tightened and the brakes having been poorly readjusted and told that the creaking was down to the fact that it looked like I had used a pressure washer to clean my bike and then used a poor quality lubricant on the steer tube. Now I had yet to even clean my bike never mind have the courage to take it apart to re-lubricate it.

So when the creaks started again recently I thought I'd use a trusted guy to service my bike (Cycle Pro Sheffield) instead of Planet X. Last time I used this guy to service my old Planet X Nanolight he came back and told me that he had re-setup my SRAM Rival as Planet X never seem to be able to do it right. And true to form he's come back again this time having to readjust my front and rear mech for my Ultegra which has lead to the chain being the wrong size and the new lubricant that Planet X used was wrong after all anyway. He hasn't charged me any extra for this so I don't feel like he's trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I'm just a little upset about the fact that I've spent a significant amount of time and money on a new bike which has simply not been put together properly.

I was wondering is there a specific way in which Ultegra can be set up or is it a matter of preference? Is it worth going after Planet X for some compensation for having to shell out for some extra work to be done on a new bike in a very short amount of time!?

Many thanks,

I'm not usually one to complain but just feeling somewhat aggrieved about this poor quality of service from their mechanics, the customer service has always been exquisite so this mechanical incompetence stands out all the more.
mercalia

Re: Poor Planet X setup

Post by mercalia »

Im not surprised about those people. For a time their ordering system, as recent as 6 months ago, didnt use the https protocol when you put your details in, thereby putting at risk rather sensitive data for any one wanting to listen in and capture it ( until I told them - they were very generous and gave me a 10% discount on my next order...)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If I'd had the same experience you've had I wouldn't have left the shop without being totally satisfied,and if I knew I hadn't even washed the bike or serviced/repaired or touched it they would've been told so in no uncertain terms.
IMO your mistake was leaving without causing a fuss,then going elsewhere to have things put right.
If you wish to take things further with PX you're on the back foot somewhat,unless your LBS is willing to write a note detailing what he's put right and why.
I'd at least give them the chance of redeeming themselves first before writing them off,as it could have been one bad egg in an otherwise good company.
I've dealt with PlanetX quite a bit for tyres and other parts(never bought a bike from them),on a couple of occasions they've made a complete hash of my order but put things to rights rapid with no cost to me,in fact I've always come out,in pocket and it''s for that reason I recommend them to others.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brian73

Post by Brian73 »

I've never had a bike set up correctly from any shop so I decided to teach myself how to do it.

In the last 5 years I've bought a new MTB from Decathlon which had poorly adjusted wheel bearings leading to excessive wear on the cones after a few hundred miles, Edinburgh Bike Co-Op Revolution bike with poorly adjusted brakes, twisted inner tube and 50% of the stem clamping thin air. Halfords Carrera hybrid with wobbly mech hanger.

I now put all my bikes together myself, check, double-check and adjust after a good 10 mile test ride.

The shops are under a lot of pressure to assemble the bikes and corners are cut and the pressure gets loaded onto customer service to sort things under warranty. I guess it's a consequence of the competitive pricing policies.

Best to factor in £40 or so to take it to a local shop to have it properly set-up if you can't do it yourself as it'll save on a costly repair later
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brian73 wrote:....The shops are under a lot of pressure to assemble the bikes and corners are cut and the pressure gets loaded onto customer service to sort things under warranty. I guess it's a consequence of the competitive pricing policies.

But could work against any shop not employing competent staff.

Best to factor in £40 or so to take it to a local shop to have it properly set-up if you can't do it yourself as it'll save on a costly repair later

But:-
shops are under a lot of pressure to assemble/service the bikes.... .... I guess it's a consequence of the competitive pricing policies.

It can be applied to any shop that doesn't do a decent job and if customers don't complain things won't be put right.
I was in business 30 years,I knew if I did a job properly the first time there was no chance of complaint.If there was ever a complaint I would put it right rapid,as I also knew bad news travels fast,ultimately the business is looking to it's own interests and a little good will speaks volumes to people.
As I posted up thread PX made mistakes with a couple of my orders but because they put things right quick sticks I won't badmouth them.
I've had similar things happen with other shops,online and in person and won't give them a bad name either for the same reason.
But the shop that won't put things right,I'll shout about from the highest hill.
However the OP didn't give PX that option.
Last edited by reohn2 on 27 Jul 2014, 12:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
NickAndrew123

Post by NickAndrew123 »

@reohn2 I understand where you are coming from about not leaving without a complaint. As I said, the usual customer service is wonderful and they actually apologised for the conduct of their mechanic. I told him over and over that I hadn't touched it or done a thing to it but he didn't seem to want to believe me. It did look like the issues had been fixed so I didn't have a particular issue with the work done as I left the shop. Only recently have these creaks come back and my gear mechanisms haven't felt 100%. And unsurprisingly after my past experience I didn't really feel too inclined to go back to Planet X to be treated like that again and have what felt like shoddy work done! I didn't know the extent of the issues until I had it serviced by someone else. As a company I think they're great, had loads of time and advice from them but not happy to have poor work done to my bike and then be told that I had done something wrong as well!

So after being told by a pro that they don't always set up bikes too well and then experiencing a bad setup myself I didn't think that it was worth my time and effort to go back yet again at the risk of just being dismissed again. Shop staff are great and wonderful prices, just feel bike setups should be more thorough and careful. I know they're trying to keep up with high demand but will loose customers through small mistakes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NickAndrew123
Thanks for the clarification of your experience,I understand your position better now.
I can only say that I'd still email them with a complaint.

BTW,I've no connection with PX other than as a satisfied customer.
W H Auden
NickAndrew123

Post by NickAndrew123 »

Ha, no worries, I had thought about saying something about the particular mechanic but it seemed like the shop was already aware of his difficult nature. Yes, I was basically asking with this thread what people felt would be the best way of approaching this matter. Perhaps I could have done this without mentioning the company specifically as I still swear by the product. So from what I gathered you think I should try and get hold of a detailed note of what has been done and send this to Planet X to make them aware of the issues what I have encountered!?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NickAndrew123 wrote:Ha, no worries, I had thought about saying something about the particular mechanic but it seemed like the shop was already aware of his difficult nature. Yes, I was basically asking with this thread what people felt would be the best way of approaching this matter. Perhaps I could have done this without mentioning the company specifically as I still swear by the product. So from what I gathered you think I should try and get hold of a detailed note of what has been done and send this to Planet X to make them aware of the issues what I have encountered!?

IMO that would be a way forward,but don't be surprised if you're LBS won't oblige.
W H Auden
Brian73

Post by Brian73 »

I've not had that much trouble with PX, they recalled my faulty forks and fixed them promptly with a significant upgrade over the original set. Admittedly this was a safety issue rather than routine servicing

I give all work I can't do myself to my LBS who had been a sole trader for well over 30 years, sometimes it takes a week but the job is done correctly as he takes his time.

The bigger shops are on tight schedules (I know as I work for a major High St shop), there's never enough staff to cover the required hours of business, especially factoring in staff sickness and annual leave.

Poor management leads to stress being put on the front end of the business, staff get demoralised and standards slip. Once the number crunchers get involved customer service tends to suffer as it is a non-profit side of the business.

I've complained about several bikes including writing to Halfords head office, best I get is an apology and a voucher. Now I just vote with my feet and buy elsewhere.

You can hang around the shop until you're blue in the face, you'll probably get asked to leave eventually.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Go and have a look at some other forums to see what people think of them. STW is a good place to start. I have had 2 versions of the same bike from the ( 1st was pinched) 1st version was fines. nicely greased etc. 2nd is crap. BB was scuffed, no grease in places, headset missing a spacer so not tight. Horrible. to some extent I think its the price to be paid for buying cheap. After all that same bike with a big name label on it would have cost more.
Bike has been totally apart in the 500 miles I have had it.
Good bar taping though :D
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I don't understand how poorly adjusted front and rear mechs can alter chain size. If the mechs were that bad the bike would be unrideable.

As for wrong lube, that's a whole thread in itself. But, how does the lbs know what lube was used and why was it 'wrong '?

I'd not be happy with the lbs saying these things either!
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the chain could have been left the wrong length.

A chum of mine has bought (mail order) several bikes from PX and they were all delivered with minor faults and in some cases missing pieces. Another friend bought one and hers was pretty well set up. It is a pot luck job; maybe she got better service because she had a nice chat with them over the phone when she placed the order.

However, my chums, I, and anyone I know pretty much take it for granted that almost any bike won't come out of a shop (or factory) set up perfectly, and that all will need work. If you can sort out setup issues yourself, then it makes sense to buy from somewhere that offers 'good value bikes' (like PX) even if the setup isn't perfect.

If it were a case of pointing you towards a retailer that offered a uniformly high level of service and setup, then you could have a choice. As it is if you are not prepared to sort these things out yourself then it might be better to buy bikes from the LBS if you trust the mechanic there.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Brian73 wrote:I've never had a bike set up correctly from any shop so I decided to teach myself how to do it.

In the last 5 years I've bought a new MTB from Decathlon which had poorly adjusted wheel bearings leading to excessive wear on the cones after a few hundred miles, Edinburgh Bike Co-Op Revolution bike with poorly adjusted brakes, twisted inner tube and 50% of the stem clamping thin air. Halfords Carrera hybrid with wobbly mech hanger.

I now put all my bikes together myself, check, double-check and adjust after a good 10 mile test ride.

The shops are under a lot of pressure to assemble the bikes and corners are cut and the pressure gets loaded onto customer service to sort things under warranty. I guess it's a consequence of the competitive pricing policies.

You really do pick some bad bso sellers don't you!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Planet X are the equivalent of the "stack em high, sell em cheap" retailers like Aldi and Lidl. You can't expect the same level of service as you would from a competent LBS. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com