Poor Planet X setup

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
andrewjoseph

Re: Poor Planet X setup

Post by andrewjoseph »

Brucey wrote:the chain could have been left the wrong length.

So cut wrong at manufacturer or first build? Nothing to do with poor mech setup?
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

well they are related; if the chain is too long or too short then this can restrict the range of acceptable 'b' tension screw settings. This can in turn compromise the gear shift or the overall capacity of the rear mech.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Brucey wrote:well they are related; if the chain is too long or too short then this can restrict the range of acceptable 'b' tension screw settings. This can in turn compromise the gear shift or the overall capacity of the rear mech.

cheers

I would have thought this would be evident on first ride from new or from return after service. If it was only after a service that would imply the chain was cut during that service. I can't imagine why this would be needed apart from chain stretch and new chain put on.

The OP doesn't mention shifting problems at all, just creaking and badly adjusted brakes.

I'm suspicious of the second shop giving odd diagnosis like chain wrong length and wrong lube.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

clearly without more information we won't know but if the chain is the wrong length this will only be obvious if the extreme gears are selected; both a service and a test ride might have involved this kind of use but then again perhaps not.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~