How to cut a cable

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: How to cut a cable

Post by Brucey »

531colin wrote: My idea is to carry one uncut cable, with the end sealed by the manufacturer. Its dead easy to just coil the extra length after fitting.
And I only ever use it on bikes belonging to people who just must have a shifter that puts an a sharp bend in the cable.....out of sight, out of mind.

Agreed. Although cables do fray at the rear mech pinch bolt this is normally fairly obvious in a way in which shifter fraying isn't.

BTW I consider the design of the pinch bolt on many Shimano mechs to be prone to causing fatigue because the cable wraps round an excessively tight radius. Mind you, if you are running STIs they seem to fray in there about the same time so maybe there isn't that much room for improvement....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

Audax67 wrote:Part of the homologation requirements is that we submit an account of the ride, so there will be one forthcoming. Catch: it'll be in French. However, I might do a translation if I'm energetic enough.

My French isn’t what it should be, but I can read it fine.

Good luck. May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face!
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

I first read about what you are up to a few days and it has been rattling around ever since. Of course it is too late to enter now but I have clocked it. I even plucked up the courage to mention it to the wife, very fleetingly, in passing, just to sow a seed for next year. (She didn't say "no")

All the best with it.... please let us have the report, in any language that you choose! I'd love to read about it....but not the bit about you becoming too tired and falling off....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote: Mind you, if you are running STIs they seem to fray in there about the same time so maybe there isn't that much room for improvement....

cheers

Which reminds me,earlier this year I had my first STI rear gear cable break(I usually change them regularly) in the STI unit with the nipple stuck in the unit,it took me a few minutes to find the best way to get it out was to use the sealed end of the new cable to poke it out with the unit in top gear position :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden