orbea t23, giant defy 5 or merida ride 90

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Elefantman

orbea t23, giant defy 5 or merida ride 90

Post by Elefantman »

Evening all,
After a fair bit of searching without much luck for a good local s/hand bike..I've decided to fork out for a new bike.. I've wandered round several local shops and found some good deals on the above.. The defy is around 450, and both of the other two I can get for under 500 with a bit of haggling...
I've tried all three for size and fit and tbh being a newbie I've struggled to really notice to big a difference between them.. The giant feels the longest reach and the merida the shortest... All have quite similar specs and all get reasonable reviews...
The orbea strikes me as the best "deal" due to the 200 quid saving against book price (due to the shop happening to have one in my size (57)...
Anyway I'd be very interested to hear peoples thoughts... If anyoneowns or have owned these bikes and what they are like to live with for a newbie?
Cheers Jim
Brucey

Re: orbea t23, giant defy 5 or merida ride 90

Post by Brucey »

orbea geometry here

http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/range-2013/aqua-t23/geometry/

giant defy geometry here;

merida ride 90 geometry here;

the reach is slightly different but there isn't much in it. The seat angles (in your size) are all close to one another so in theory you should (reasonable head tube lengths and stems permitting) allow the contact points to be adjusted similarly in each case. If there is a deal breaker in the frame geometry it might be the steering feel, the toe overlap, or perhaps whatever passes for mudguard clearance.

It kind of depresses me that the Giant Escape ( a flat barred hybrid) basically has a 'roadie' frame but with half decent mudguard clearance... but.... AFAICT Giant only sell this frame with flat bars fitted; if you want to use mudguards and dropped bars you need to use mudguards that don't give good coverage and only just squeeze into a 'defy'. A defy isn't the worst culprit out there by any means; many road bikes don't have much room. Obviously if you are only going to ride on sunny days you might not care about this.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elefantman

Re: orbea t23, giant defy 5 or merida ride 90

Post by Elefantman »

Thanks.. That's really helpful to see the specs all laid out.
I'm leaning towards the orbea as its feels best.
I know what you mean about guards.. But this is going to be my trainer for fitness rather than a tourer/commuter.. That job will remain with my old pro sport (with a longer stem to help with the short top tube feel)..
Cheers again Jim