V pad inserts: some fatter than others

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SA_SA_SA

V pad inserts: some fatter than others

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I use V brake cartridge pads on the grounds that once set up, all that is needed is to slide in new pads (and reset cable adjusters) every so often:

then I bought some Ashima V Brake Inserts which turned out to be fatter*, and so would have required cable replacement and holder readjustment: surely the thickness should be standard or at least non-standard fat pads marked as such?

Isn't the thinness of V pads part of the braking efficiency of V brakes: less pad to compress?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Brucey

Re: V pad inserts: some fatter than others

Post by Brucey »

up to a point, yes, but most could do with being a bit fatter IMHO.

Although it means messing about with washers etc you could respace the V pad holders rather than replace the cable, perhaps?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Brucey wrote:.....Although it means messing about with washers etc you could respace the V pad holders rather than replace the cable, perhaps?....

But then I might as well use all in one pads :( ----- I liked the slide in ones as a way of making maintenance quick and easy (I hate adjusting the angle of brake blocks)!!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

but perhaps you might only have to do this once?

Another approach might be to wear several pairs of 'fat' inserts down half way, then to reset the cable/curvy washers and use them all again?

Or set the front brake to use fatties, and the rear to use skinnies? This way you could use new fatties in the front, then put them in the back when they are half-worn or something.

It isn't a bad idea to whip them out when they are half-worn to inspect them for embedded crud etc anyway. I also have been known to recut the grooves in them when they are half-worn. This can often make braking better than it would be otherwise.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Brucey wrote:but perhaps you might only have to do this once?

Yes, I suppose, if there is enough cable adjustment to cope with the shop randomly having thick or standard thickness pads. I think there is just enough to cope with the life of standard pads. I shall postpone such experiments until it becomes necessary! :)

Brucey wrote:Or set the front brake to use fatties, and the rear to use skinnies? This way you could use new fatties in the front, then put them in the back when they are half-worn or something.

I use an 70mm SA hub as the back brake: so most "slowing down" braking is causing little SA pad wear and no front wear... :)